• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
The day after the referendum result the Chair of Cornwall Council was telling the government that they would have to make up all the EU funding the county receives. Cornwall voted leave.
They are living in cloud cuckoo land in that county if they really think anyone in London gives a toss about Cornwall or the South West in general.

The same can be said for South Wales who also voted Leave.

DB9

I'm actually suggesting a non-political Quango might have to be formed to dish out the cash on a non-political basis.
Non political quango? Jeez anything with the words "Non Political" in this country will be accused of bias if the people who have a leaning don't get funding

Grecian2K

I'm not sure if you're just venting but this Government has just as much "electoral legitimacy" as any other of our Governments. I'd be interested a to why you think otherwise.
Does it really need spelling out?
Even the hapless, hopeless "Call Me Dave" somehow managed to cobble together a slender majority in 2015 - a tiny advantage that the even more useless Maybot contrived to squander in 2017 (despite the pre-GE polls predicting a majority of Thatcherite proportions)
Leaving a sorry rump of a so called "government" propped up only by a bigoted bunch of NI ultra-prots - and that only at the expense of a bung of £100M per member, even more remunerative than the scandalous "Cash for Ash" scam.
But even that gave her a small, albeit unrepresentative, "working majority".
Exit May and enter Johnson who (doubtless abetted by Cummings and the rabid ERG) somehow managed to sacrifice even that by expelling 21 of the more independently minded of the Tory tribe (and that's not even counting the ones who had previously had the decency to jump ship of their own accord) leaving a potential "working majority" of MINUS 43.
Now I would suggest that is a totally illegitimate mandate for this so-called "barsteward" government?
Still, far be it for me to suggest that a loyal chap like yourself should ever stop tugging his forelock before all your posh Old-Etonian masters.

Grecian2K

They are living in cloud cuckoo land in that county if they really think anyone in London gives a toss about Cornwall or the South West in general
Oh I'm sure they will do....until, of course, all those pesky Lib Dem marginal seats have been safely retained and they can safely withdraw all of the proffered largesse on the grounds of the "unforeseen economic consequences of Brexit"!

tavyred

Does it really need spelling out?
Even the hapless, hopeless "Call Me Dave" somehow managed to cobble together a slender majority in 2015 - a tiny advantage that the even more useless Maybot contrived to squander in 2017 (despite the pre-GE polls predicting a majority of Thatcherite proportions)
Leaving a sorry rump of a so called "government" propped up only by a bigoted bunch of NI ultra-prots - and that only at the expense of a bung of £100M per member, even more remunerative than the scandalous "Cash for Ash" scam.
But even that gave her a small, albeit unrepresentative, "working majority".
Exit May and enter Johnson who (doubtless abetted by Cummings and the rabid ERG) somehow managed to sacrifice even that by expelling 21 of the more independently minded of the Tory tribe (and that's not even counting the ones who had previously had the decency to jump ship of their own accord) leaving a potential "working majority" of MINUS 43.
Now I would suggest that is a totally illegitimate mandate for this so-called "barsteward" government?
Still, far be it for me to suggest that a loyal chap like yourself should ever stop tugging his forelock before all your posh Old-Etonian masters.
Oh, you’re just venting. Fair enough.

Grecian2K

Not "venting" dear boy. Merely stating some undeniable FACTS.
Fair enough?

tavyred

Not "venting" dear boy. Merely stating some undeniable FACTS.
Fair enough?
No, you've just trotted out the usual hackneyed tropes about a perfectly legitimate Government you just happen to dislike.
The FACTS are these, the largest political party has first dibs at forming a Government, the Tories did this after the 2017 GE and with the support of the DUP we've had that same arrangement ever since. The Government lost its working majority recently and if the opposition parties were interested in giving the country a functioning Government they would have voted BJ's Government down.

Grecian2K

Bless. My "tropes" have been criticised over the years but never accused of being "hackneyed" - or any other part of East London - before?
As for the GE it WILL be forthcoming - sooner rather than later - once the excuse for Lying Johnson and his cronies using it to foist a precipitous and disastrous no-deal flounce has passed.
It was (and is) the one thing all the other parties (bar the perfidious DUP, plus, perhaps Bally-Hoey and a couple of other "Labour" rebel Brextremists) are agreed upon. And even you can't deny that they, at the moment, form the majority in the HoC.

IBA

If Boris had integirity , he would do the right thing and keep the NI backstop, this would undoutedly upset the DUP , but would help to secure a clear Brexit deal with the EU. Boris is then hailed a hero and calls a snap general election riding on the wave of popularity and results in a clear working majority in the Commons...

DB9

If Boris had integirity , he would do the right thing and keep the NI backstop, this would undoutedly upset the DUP , but would help to secure a clear Brexit deal with the EU. Boris is then hailed a hero and calls a snap general election riding on the wave of popularity and results in a clear working majority in the Commons...
So really have May's deal back but with Johnson's name on it?