• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
So the Eden Project is today celebrating £18M of funding for a geo-thermal power plant.
£10M of that is coming from the EU (you know, that dreadful organisation that is always taking but never giving)
One wonders if they'll still be so hopeful of the 💰 after 1st November? (Or will Borrish & Gollum's magic money tree miraculously find more golden apples to make up any shortfall - at least until that pesky General Election is out of the way?)

Grecian2K

A grudging shout out for Cunning Cummings though, for somehow conning Her Maj into fronting a Party Political Broadcast for the Tories today!
(No way can it have been a genuine "legislative program" given that, at present, there is a so-called "government" that has no electoral legitimacy whatsoever, and, anyway, is desperate for another election ASAP anyway.)

tavyred

So the Eden Project is today celebrating £18M of funding for a geo-thermal power plant.
£10M of that is coming from the EU (you know, that dreadful organisation that is always taking but never giving)
Its our own money coming back to us G2K, although I think you probably already knew that .

tavyred

A grudging shout out for Cunning Cummings though, for somehow conning Her Maj into fronting a Party Political Broadcast for the Tories today!
(No way can it have been a genuine "legislative program" given that, at present, there is a so-called "government" that has no electoral legitimacy whatsoever, and, anyway, is desperate for another election ASAP anyway.)
I'm not sure if you're just venting but this Government has just as much "electoral legitimacy" as any other of our Governments. I'd be interested a to why you think otherwise.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Its our own money coming back to us G2K, although I think you probably already knew that .
Yeah, because with all the cuts this and the previous two governments were making, and the astonishing history of investing in areas that desperately require it, that were sure to happen if only we'd had control of our own money...

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I'm not sure if you're just venting but this Government has just as much "electoral legitimacy" as any other of our Governments. I'd be interested a to why you think otherwise.
Cox was half right, it's a dead government, not a dead parliament. 🥴

iscalad

Ah, so is this part of the £350 million we send to the EU, then?

tavyred

Ah, so is this part of the £350 million we send to the EU, then?
The UK can't be a net contributor to the EU and simultaneously be reliant on EU funding. Spanks however makes a good point, and decisons will have to made about what mechanism post Brexit will be employed by the UK to dish out monies like this in the future. The strength of the way the EU funds projects is that its non-political in nature, I envisage some new quango being created post Brexit.

iscalad

The UK can't be a net contributor to the EU and simultaneously be reliant on EU funding. Spanks however makes a good point, and decisons will have to made about what mechanism post Brexit will be employed by the UK to dish out monies like this in the future. The strength of the way the EU funds projects is that its non-political in nature, I envisage some new quango being created post Brexit.
Really. You actually believe any government will give monies on a non-political agenda. Wow.

The day after the referendum result the Chair of Cornwall Council was telling the government that they would have to make up all the EU funding the county receives. Cornwall voted leave.

tavyred

Really. You actually believe any government will give monies on a non-political agenda. Wow.

The day after the referendum result the Chair of Cornwall Council was telling the government that they would have to make up all the EU funding the county receives. Cornwall voted leave.
I'm actually suggesting a non-political Quango might have to be formed to dish out the cash on a non-political basis.