• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can smell your disappointment with Sir Kieth on this issue Art! 😎
Indeed, I imagine the whiff is fairly pungent.

What I don't understand is his need to be so definite - "Make Brexit Work" is suitably vague and doesn't offer any hostages to fortune, whereas ruling out membership of the CU does.

He has form on this of course, whipping his MPs to support Johnson's TCA, which then meant he couldn't criticise it. Abstention was a perfectly valid option, as it would have passed anyway.

What think you of the analysis in post 51279? Fairly spot on, I thought

tavyred

What think you of the analysis in post 51279? Fairly spot on, I thought
Hmm, not sure.
You’ll think this a tad convenient but I do wonder how things would’ve gone on the Brexit front if we’d not had a once in a century pandemic and a European war to deal with, those things have taken up a lot of political bandwidth since the GE and made decisions on tax and spend more problematic, as we found out with Trussonomics in the Autumn.
Perhaps yer man Starmer will give us the pure Brexit that the likes of Dan Hannan wants if and when he gets the keys to number 10. Let’s face it he’s making all the right noises. 😉

arthur

Perhaps yer man Starmer will give us the pure Brexit that the likes of Dan Hannan wants if and when he gets the keys to number 10. Let’s face it he’s making all the right noises. 😉
The point of the article is that the "pure Brexit" that people like Hannan, Frost, Jinx, Truss etc. want is not what a lot of Leave voters, and Boris Johnson, voted for....

Alistair20000

I guess Labour’s focus groups are telling them something to back up Starmer’s rhetoric. 🤷‍♂️
You can have gone a tad cold on Brexit and still believe it would now be too much bother rejoin again, one of the upshots of the almighty fuss remain voters made about our leaving was to leave massive mental scars with leave voters to the extent I think that they would now loathe a similar process to rejoin.
I like the language Starmer is using around Brexit and if he carries on being this unequivocally against rejoining the EU or re-aligning in any significant sense with Brussels in the future, we might get to the highly ironic position of a Tory party deciding to be more pro-EU then Labour in the decade ahead. 🤷‍♂️
I can smell your disappointment with Sir Kieth on this issue Art! 😎
Aye. All that artspeak of a “progressive“ great reforming Starmer premiership apparently under pressure or even melting away :ROFLMAO:

Alistair20000

The Diddy Man and his government have got themselves into an awful mess over the Covid Enquiry and are making themselves look absurd. Or maybe even more absurd. A further rake of money to be spunked on legal fees and more delay as m’learned friends rub their hands. 7 years now being predicted before it reports.

We don’t need this Enquiry in its format which is emerging anyway. It is as plain as the proverbial pikestaff what was done wrong.

Sweden and I think France have already concluded their enquiries. Why are we going to faff around for years ? :mad:

Oldsmobile-88

The Diddy Man and his government have got themselves into an awful mess over the Covid Enquiry and are making themselves look absurd. Or maybe even more absurd. A further rake of money to be spunked on legal fees and more delay as m’learned friends rub their hands. 7 years now being predicted before it reports.

We don’t need this Enquiry in its format which is emerging anyway. It is as plain as the proverbial pikestaff what was done wrong.

Sweden and I think France have already concluded their enquiries. Why are we going to faff around for years ? :mad:
It’s going to pollute politics for years too..

We really need to move on ..Loads of huge challenges in the next few years.. Environment, climate, migration, ageing population, not much works in the country these days anymore either.

Oldsmobile-88

Shocking stats about children’s absences from schools since the lockdown. About 20% are long term absences on a regular basis. A bad habit of not attending have become the norm. These are not kids just bunking off for the afternoon down the amusement arcade.
Another unintended consequence of lockdown on youngsters generally at the bottom of society who can least afford to miss education.

Do they still have school attendance officers ? Mind you with the numbers being banded about a army of them would be needed.

angelic upstart

It’s going to pollute politics for years too..

We really need to move on ..Loads of huge challenges in the next few years.. Environment, climate, migration, ageing population, not much works in the country these days anymore either.
It's exactly why they won't move on.

tavyred

The point of the article is that the "pure Brexit" that people like Hannan, Frost, Jinx, Truss etc. want is not what a lot of Leave voters, and Boris Johnson, voted for....
Most leave voters were quite happy to leave the details of Brexit to the politicians Art, that doesn’t mean they won’t have an opinion on how it turns out of course.

DB9

Most leave voters were quite happy to leave the details of Brexit to the politicians Art, that doesn’t mean they won’t have an opinion on how it turns out of course.
That's probably where things break down, Seems the politicians all have different ideas and it ends up a basket case.