• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting shenanigans around the Covid enquiry. It seems the Cabinet Office risks being sent to prison if it does not give Lady Hallet the information she's asked for. What larks...
The plot thickens. Clearly these withheld documents are more embarrassing for Sunak than they are for Johnson

Grecian2K

The plot thickens. Clearly these withheld documents are more embarrassing for Sunak than they are for Johnson

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Especially when accompanied by extra large added dollops of "gentleman's relish"! and an Eton Mess as desert.😜

Excuse me waiter. Could you possibly pass me a side order of popcorn please?

DB9

tavyred

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
You're never going to, so lets not waste our breath.

tavyred

You're never going to, so lets not waste our breath.
Oh I don’t know, could he be that much of a charlatan?
I’m beginning to believe him! 😎

arthur

Chasing the dwindling number of people who a) believe in Brexit and b) are likely ever to vote Labour seems to me a complete waste of time, especially when such an approach risks hemorrhaging support to the Greens and Lib Dems...

arthur

This month's entry for The Most Unsurprising News of the Year award...

arthur

Interesting analysis outlining the incompatibility of the Jinx Brexit and the Tavy Brexit

Recent weeks have seen a flurry of “laments, fury and blame-shifting” by leading free-market Brexiters like Nigel Farage and Lord Frost, says Robert Shrimsley in the FT. Perhaps most striking was a piece by the “thoughtful” former MEP Daniel Hannan, published under the headline “The liberal Brexit dream is dying”. Hannan exemplifies a strain of Tory Leavers who more or less believed in the “sovereignty” arguments but saw exiting the EU as primarily a way of achieving a “low tax, lower regulation and less statist” Britain. Instead, they find themselves with the opposite: higher taxes, increased regulation, more state intervention and talk of voluntary price caps in supermarkets.
What these “Leave liberals” failed to recognise was that the vote for Brexit was in large part a revolt against their ideology. The people who delivered the Leave result were hardline on immigration, suspicious of big business, keen on culture wars, and “comfortable with a more interventionist state”. The defining Brexit pledge was, after all, “more money for the NHS”. In order to win, the free-market Leavers made common cause with populists who never shared their economic vision. (Remember Boris Johnson’s “f*** business” outburst?) Their mistake was to believe that maximising “Brexit freedoms” would naturally deliver their longed-for smaller state. But that promised land was “always a fantasy”. And in allying with those populists, Leave liberals surrendered the economic argument, ushering in the big state era they now bemoan. “They won the war but lost the peace.”

tavyred

Chasing the dwindling number of people who a) believe in Brexit and b) are likely ever to vote Labour seems to me a complete waste of time, especially when such an approach risks hemorrhaging support to the Greens and Lib Dems...
I guess Labour’s focus groups are telling them something to back up Starmer’s rhetoric. 🤷‍♂️
You can have gone a tad cold on Brexit and still believe it would now be too much bother rejoin again, one of the upshots of the almighty fuss remain voters made about our leaving was to leave massive mental scars with leave voters to the extent I think that they would now loathe a similar process to rejoin.
I like the language Starmer is using around Brexit and if he carries on being this unequivocally against rejoining the EU or re-aligning in any significant sense with Brussels in the future, we might get to the highly ironic position of a Tory party deciding to be more pro-EU then Labour in the decade ahead. 🤷‍♂️
I can smell your disappointment with Sir Kieth on this issue Art! 😎