• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep. Tavy has set himself up there.
Quite. It won't be long.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Its just another entirely avoidable post brexit situation that was ignored in the face of the ideological “ getting things done”.
I don’t think binning FOM was avoidable, it was a basic tenet of the Brexit agenda spanks.
You could argue that private companies not being resilient enough to see us through this period was avoidable, but as we see across the world, the opening up of economies has put unprecedented strain on supply lines.
All first world problems really, no one is going to starve and once the nuggets have stopped topping up their fuel tanks no one is going to be stuck at home unable to use their car.
Expect a spike in electric car sales though.

Rosencrantz

Egg.
You would expect the BMA (a doctors trade union) to paint as negative a picture about its members working conditions as possible. I know my public service union did when I was working for the public sector, some of it justified, some of it not. I suspect this tale of woe from the BMA is just the latest in a long line of condemnatory press releases from them over years.
At least in England we don’t have Squaddies driving ambulances today.
If you had watched the excellent Ambulance series that has just finished on BBC1 you would have seen an episode given over to Army personnel going through rapid training and helping out NW Ambulance Service. A quick look around and they were not the only ambulance service to require military assistance in England recently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58281665.amp

DB9

I don’t think binning FOM was avoidable, it was a basic tenet of the Brexit agenda spanks.
You could argue that private companies not being resilient enough to see us through this period was avoidable, but as we see across the world, the opening up of economies has put unprecedented strain on supply lines.
All first world problems really, no one is going to starve and once the nuggets have stopped topping up their fuel tanks no one is going to be stuck at home unable to use their car.
Expect a spike in electric car sales though.
For me personally, My work has dried up because i rely on delivering and collecting cars, My work place has put everything on hold until fuel supplies return to some sense of normallity, I can't drive 250 miles without knowing I'll be able to fuel up or when collecting without worrying if the area has fuel, I am on zero hours so i don't work, i don't get paid. Note: I'm hoping and expect to things to smooth out soon for the reason it can't go on, The Government can't let it.

Last edited:

tavyred

If you had watched the excellent Ambulance series that has just finished on BBC1 you would have seen an episode given over to Army personnel going through rapid training and helping out NW Ambulance Service. A quick look around and they were not the only ambulance service to require military assistance in England recently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58281665.amp
I stand corrected. 👍

Spoonz Red E

Yes, one does wonder how Canada and Australia have managed to struggle through all these years without FOM?
Freedom of movement was advantageous to UK businesses.

Australia does not share land borders with other countries and only has to service a population of 25m.

Canada has arrangements with the USA - its only shared land border
"Documentary Requirements
Canadian citizens entering the United States as visitors for business do not require either a passport or a visa."

That may help them somewhat.

Reactions: Egg

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
On route from Exeter to Sidmouth today, I passed two garages which were out of fuel.

I appreciate there isn’t a fuel shortage, but, plainly, there are distribution issues. That being the case, if you depend on your car why wouldn’t you fill it up now and avert the possibility of finding yourself left high and dry at some point in the not-too-distant future?!

tavyred

On route from Exeter to Sidmouth today, I passed two garages which were out of fuel.

I appreciate there isn’t a fuel shortage, but, plainly, there are distribution issues. That being the case, if you depend on your car why wouldn’t you fill it up now and avert the possibility of finding yourself left high and dry at some point in the not-too-distant future?!
There were limited distribution issues which have now been dwarfed by the nob-jockeys filling up just for the sake of it. 🤷‍♂️

Oldsmobile-88

All the Petrol Stations on the A1(M) were open & looked like they were dealing with the just usual Saturday traffic.No queues.The same on the A19 & in Hartlepool,in fact the biggest queues were for the McD & KFC drive throughs !

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
There were limited distribution issues which have now been dwarfed by the nob-jockeys filling up just for the sake of it. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for your considered response. It’s clear there are petrol stations with no fuel. They may well be few and far between but if you rely on your car to, for instance, get to work why would you take the risk?!