• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster

In short, outside of London and the south east it's the same everywhere.
What’s the same everywhere?

DB9

For the first time in nearly 18 months the HOC was full, Which to me was good to see but today was a real stop and think moment, I did wonder why recall Parliament but listening to MP's it was hugly emotional and very good TV and i never thought I'd say that about watching the HOC!

angelic upstart

What’s the same everywhere?
Essentially, every area spends more per head than they pay in tax.

tavyred

Essentially, every area spends more per head than they pay in tax.
But what does Scotland get to spend on its people in comparison to other regions of the U.K.?
(Clue- it’s in your link).

angelic upstart

But what does Scotland get to spend on its people in comparison to other regions of the U.K.?
(Clue- it’s in your link).
My point isn't that Scotland's spends more, I half expect NI and Scotland to. It's that everywhere else in the UK leeches from London.

The country as a whole has only one power base, which is bad for business, bad for social mobility and just all around a bad idea.

tavyred

My point isn't that Scotland's spends more, I half expect NI and Scotland to. It's that everywhere else in the UK leeches from London.

The country as a whole has only one power base, which is bad for business, bad for social mobility and just all around a bad idea.
With respect you should be asking why one area deserves an extra £2K per head and some of the others don’t.
A Union like ours is about the pooling of resources and the fair distribution of the cash. I can see the special case that is NI, but I’m struggling to see the why Scotland has such a privileged place in our Union as regards public funding. 🤷‍♂️

angelic upstart

With respect you should be asking why one area deserves an extra £2K per head and some of the others don’t.
A Union like ours is about the pooling of resources and the fair distribution of the cash. I can see the special case that is NI, but I’m struggling to see the why Scotland has such a privileged place in our Union as regards public funding. 🤷‍♂️
I don't doubt that areas deserve more. The south west is massively underfunded. The Scots provide more to their people as they are devolved. We have the opportunity to vote for similar fairly regularly and our current government is promising to level up, so one can only assume this figure will be smoothed out over the next few years.

Regards to NI, I would expect them not to have any special treatment either. Fair's fair, after all.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
It seems to me that a fairly simple way to level up would be to sort out and modernise the absurdly unfair Council Tax system. Not sure why that isn't on the agenda (other than upsetting the Westminster millionaires of course). It's an easy win.

tavyred

I don't doubt that areas deserve more. The south west is massively underfunded. The Scots provide more to their people as they are devolved. We have the opportunity to vote for similar fairly regularly and our current government is promising to level up, so one can only assume this figure will be smoothed out over the next few years.

Regards to NI, I would expect them not to have any special treatment either. Fair's fair, after all.
There is no specific reason why devolved areas should be better funded than the rest. Unfortunately it’s that relic from the 70’s, the Barnett formula to blame. The unfairness is baked in unfortunately. Even with the levelling up agenda, any extra spending in England means increased funds are automatically sent to Holyrood and the rest.

Grecian2K

Another waste of money.
Highway to a new name as Government roads company changes again (msn.com)
Wonder how much this latest re-branding will be costing us-cash that would be much better spent trying to repair a bit more of their crumbling infrastructure?
Still, that seems to be the way nowadays. When an organisation is patently failing don't change the fat cat cronies at the top. Just change the name. The plebs won't notice.