• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'll also add that the pandemic is not the open goal for Starmer people think it is. In times of national crisis the people tend to rally round the government, unless they really obviously balls it up. George W Bush rode his popularity after 9/11 all the way to reelection. Trump enjoyed his highest approval ratings in the early days of covid, before succumbing to the afore-mentioned balls up. Any significant impact has on Johnson's approval will come after the dust has settled and (some of) the truth comes out.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indeed Hermann. I still suspect (hope?!) that when the dust from Covid settles and IF!!! the promised ", independent" enquiry ever transpires the Pandemic (and it's mishandling) will turn out to be Johnson's "Iraq".

Problem is the Tories have such a strongly established track record of stuffing any or all such "investigations" with tame placement to mark their own homework (Grenfell. Bullying. Islamaphobia &"Racism within the party. Graft & Corruption etc) I fear that, with that plus a largely right wing and fawning MSM) they'll almost certainly brush it under one of Carrie's expensive No 10 carpets.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed Hermann. I still suspect (hope?!) that when the dust from Covid settles and IF!!! the promised ", independent" enquiry ever transpires the Pandemic (and it's mishandling) will turn out to be Johnson's "Iraq".

Problem is the Tories have such a strongly established track record of stuffing any or all such "investigations" with tame placement to mark their own homework (Grenfell. Bullying. Islamaphobia &"Racism within the party. Graft & Corruption etc) I fear that, with that plus a largely right wing and fawning MSM) they'll almost certainly brush it under one of Carrie's expensive No 10 carpets.
I'm not sure they can this time. Unlike those other things the pandemic has impacted virtually everyone in some way or other. Too many people care.

elginCity

I do wonder if he's gambling on the long game…
Same here. The forensic one is building his case, and the timing of attack will be critical. Just as things start to bite, and the scales fall, Boris bluster fatigue sets in and the polls dip. Panicked Tories might turn to The Dish, or The Saj, whoever, but all are tarnished through association with the ‘Great Man’.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Dominic Cummings stuff is all very dull now. Either produce some proof or bugger off. Just sounds like sour grapes currently.

Alistair20000

The Dominic Cummings stuff is all very dull now. Either produce some proof or bugger off. Just sounds like sour grapes currently.
Most people I talk to on this topic say precisely that and don't like the guy anyway. They tend to shut their ears to him now.

He needs to up his game if he evidence based criticisms to make.

tavyred

As a self declared admirer of Cummings I sense a highly embarrassing mea culpa coming on.
Jeez, the fella is a nutter, I’ve just listened to him actually say that a few short days of getting BJ elected he was plotting to get him removed.

Grecian2K

I'm not sure they can this time. Unlike those other things the pandemic has impacted virtually everyone in some way or other. Too many people care.
Have you happened to watch tonight's BBC4 re-run of Yes Minister - The Moral Dimension? Even The Guardian was invoked.
So I wouldn't be so sure. Not much has changed with "Tory Sleaze" over the last few decades.

elginCity

Prime time Beeb, Cummings the willing fall guy, Laura the stooge up for an Oscar, Bunter in his bunker under attack, just watch his ratings soar …

The pantomime season continues.

DB9

As a self declared admirer of Cummings I sense a highly embarrassing mea culpa coming on.
Jeez, the fella is a nutter, I’ve just listened to him actually say that a few short days of getting BJ elected he was plotting to get him removed.
If Cummings is to be believed then No10 is a place of utter carnage with no one in charge and a Civil Service tearing its hair out, Seems very similar to the scenes people said about the Trump administration and the White House machine. Of course believing Cummings is another matter, He is sounding like a very angry jilted lover who's be publicly dumped by their former partner, If the Jeremy Kyle show was still around he'd be the perfect guest and then Johnson comes rocking in and a massive fight starts.