• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just wanted t say the quality of food in Australia is fine, and in my view actually better than the UK. Like the Upstart said, you can choose to buy what you want, it's not like Oz will suddenly become the only supplier of beef to the UK. The overall in principle trade deal hardly touches beef, the percentage of trade in beef will be miniscule in terms of a trade deal. Here to help. And let's not pretend the UK doesn't export some crap to other nations which nobody talks about (and rightly so).
Just so you know AP, in any discussion on here about post Brexit FTA’s, EU countries and their regs are always the dogs robblocks and everywhere else like OZ and the US for example is akin to some sort of unregulated hell hole.
As a consumer I’m looking to select quality foods from anywhere and everywhere around the world, be it from the EU or OZ.

Avening Posse

I'm talking about the way cattle is reared, AP, which is not relevant to protectionism.
Mad cow disease can happen. Covid can happen.
I think Brits think that farmers have the life of Reilly and that "there's no such thing as a poor farmer". But farming is a very risky business, especially if you don't mix loads of chemicals to protect your crops and add to cattle feeds), which the Aussies do.
The Aussies do these things primarily due to the climate conditions which can go from drought to flood pretty quickly, and each crop needs max protection to survive. The weather in the UK is safer for farming (although at times you wouldn't think it when it's freezing and snowing). I don't think it affects health though, or at least the Aussie experts don't think so. I'm just saying that health standards are different in many regards, and that does not necessarily mean the UK ones are higher. Needs a bit of balance. If Oz beef does turn out to be cheaper (which I doubt frankly) then that has to be good for the UK consumer. Most seem happy with all the imported food they buy in the supermarkets, why should Oz beef be any different.

angelic upstart

Just wanted t say the quality of food in Australia is fine, and in my view actually better than the UK. Like the Upstart said, you can choose to buy what you want, it's not like Oz will suddenly become the only supplier of beef to the UK. The overall in principle trade deal hardly touches beef, the percentage of trade in beef will be miniscule in terms of a trade deal. Here to help. And let's not pretend the UK doesn't export some crap to other nations which nobody talks about (and rightly so).
Just to be clear. My issue (and it's only potential at the moment) isn't with any countries food standards other than the UK. My fear is my countries standards will drop. This isn't for meat/veg that I can easily distinguish what is good to me and what isn't. It's things like breakfast cereal, and other similar processed foods. In short, any food I can't make at home with everyday ingredients.

IndoMike

The Aussies do these things primarily due to the climate conditions which can go from drought to flood pretty quickly, and each crop needs max protection to survive. The weather in the UK is safer for farming (although at times you wouldn't think it when it's freezing and snowing). I don't think it affects health though, or at least the Aussie experts don't think so. I'm just saying that health standards are different in many regards, and that does not necessarily mean the UK ones are higher. Needs a bit of balance. If Oz beef does turn out to be cheaper (which I doubt frankly) then that has to be good for the UK consumer. Most seem happy with all the imported food they buy in the supermarkets, why should Oz beef be any different.
Well, we're going to import Aussie beef anyway, so we'll see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if the British govt subsidizes our farmers to overcome this problem
What puts some people off is the use of growth hormones for cattle. I've read up about this and it seems that some scientists say that it's not a problem and some say it is. Apparently using these hormones increases the profitability of the Aussie beef producer by 13%.
The EU (public enemy no.1 on Exeweb) doesn't allow beef treated with hormones to be imported. Are they just being awkward cusses or do they have a point?
Finally, it's true that half of what we eat has additives or has been adulterated in some way to preserve it. Maybe we just have to live with that

Avening Posse

Just to be clear. My issue (and it's only potential at the moment) isn't with any countries food standards other than the UK. My fear is my countries standards will drop. This isn't for meat/veg that I can easily distinguish what is good to me and what isn't. It's things like breakfast cereal, and other similar processed foods. In short, any food I can't make at home with everyday ingredients.
Fair do’s, I think companies that manufacture processed food with long shelf lives will ensure their product adheres to UK standards, be quite surprised if the UK change on this?

tonykellowfan

Thing is if you eat that kind of muck then clearly you don't care what you are actually consuming.

Either make your own meals from scratch or buy stuff from local producers.

angelic upstart

Thing is if you eat that kind of muck then clearly you don't care what you are actually consuming.

Either make your own meals from scratch or buy stuff from local producers.
I'm talking about cheese, bread, cold cuts, bacon etc. Not microwave meals and sausage rolls (although they clearly count)

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cummings finally presents something concrete

Oldsmobile-88

Going back to the Aussie Trade Deal & Farmers.
In my lifetime farmers have always moaned about something,even when they were handed large EU subsidies.They will no doubt still do the same when(if)UK subsidies are dished out.

It’s just how it is 😁😁

(Tongue firmly in cheek 😎)

Last edited:

IndoMike

Absolute nail on head. Anyone who can't see through Johnson is neither a very good judge of character nor very expert on basic psychology.