• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s almost impossible to protest against Israel without being classed as anti Semitic. Rebecca Long Bailey (from memory) was particularly harshly done by when she got the The Elbow (Tm Al20000) in my humble. But I openly admit I am evidently a dinosaur in matters of modern racism.
It suits Israel very much to have the two conflated as much as they are. Of course incidents like today's only make that worse.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
It suits Israel very much to have the two conflated as much as they are. Of course incidents like today's only make that worse.
Nothing to do with what suits Israel, if you don’t want to be accused of anti-Semitism leave the British Jewish community alone.

angelic upstart

Its probably one of the hardest things to protest about because if you do say you don't like the way the state of Israel is doing something you can be classed as "anti-semitic" because it gets so clouded. For me if someone condems what is happening over there at the moment then its perfectly within their rights to protest But you can't blame Jewish people per say and that is what you get accused of, Especially online. What happened in North London today was nothing but vile and anti-semitic, If they were protesting outside the Israeli Embassy then fine because that is where Israel is represented over here. Protesting mind not chanting death and rape threats.
Agree, what happened in North London today is clear bigotry and wrong. Death and rape threats are never the right thing. Sadly, sometimes merely saying Israeli is enough to be considered anti Semitic.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nothing to do with what suits Israel, if you don’t want to be accused of anti-Semitism leave the British Jewish community alone.
Would be nice if that were true.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anti semistism with corbyn in charge became a real concern. It cannot be denied and rightly Labour was held to account and under keir have made moves to hold to account and change.

Maybe the tories will make similar progress with islamophobia in the near future which is a similar scurge within the tories as anti semistism was / is within labour.

I don't pretend like some to understand the complexity of the situation on the gaza strip and use it for cheap political point scoring.

All political parties have members whom are not representative of the party and whom are just idiots, racists etc. Its how it is dealt with which is important and with corbyn gone labour are dealing and recognising the issue.

tavyred

Is there an equivalent issue with the Tories and islamophobia as there was/is with Labour and anti Semitism?
I must have missed that EHRC investigation of the Tories.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is there an equivalent issue with the Tories and islamophobia as there was/is with Labour and anti Semitism?
I must have missed that EHRC investigation of the Tories.
I wouldn't speak too soon. A planned EHRC investigation was shelved after the Conservatives promised an internal enquiry. That hasn't materialised yet, but I imagine the EHRC is keeping an eye on the situation. Once the inevitable whitewash emerges I expect the EHRC will have another look.

angelic upstart

In strange twist of fate, Michael Fabricant is "under fire" for racism following a now deleted tweet.

Oldsmobile-88

In strange twist of fate, Michael Fabricant is "under fire" for racism following a now deleted tweet.
“These primitives are trying to bring to London what they do in the Middle East”

Michael Fabricant...Is it a wig or not ?👩

Alistair20000

“These primitives are trying to bring to London what they do in the Middle East”

Michael Fabricant...Is it a wig or not ?👩
He has always denied it is a wig.

An oddball.