• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
So just the £303 billion borrowed by the Government in the last 12 months.

If every working age adult could send a cheque for £7,250 to the Treasury, Rishi would be very grateful.

Or maybe Abramovich, Glazer, Henry, Lewis, Kroenke and Al Maktoum could lob in £50 bill each as penance for the last week.
Apparently the COVID bill was predicted to be £47BN worse than that figure. Small mercies I suppose.

IndoMike

Well done Astra Zeneca !! Not only have you discovered one of the best vaccines to protect against Covid but you
have also found a vaccine to fight malaria, with a 75% success rate in trials. Four hundred thousand people die from malaria ever year.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well done Astra Zeneca !! Not only have you discovered one of the best vaccines to protect against Covid but you
have also found a vaccine to fight malaria, with a 75% success rate in trials. Four hundred thousand people die from malaria ever year.
Nice to see you in a cheery mood Mike, especially on a Friday.

Agreed very good news, and bravo to the Gov for backing our brilliant scientists.

IndoMike

Nice to see you in a cheery mood Mike, especially on a Friday.

Agreed very good news, and bravo to the Gov for backing our brilliant scientists.
Always cheery, Red, but will always fight my corner when it comes to important issues.
Astra Zeneca has performed really well and it's a pity that some countries have tried to
diminish its reputation by casting doubt on what is probably the best and most practical vaccine that exists.
The only problem is that there has not been sufficient production to distribute it world-wide.

Grecian2K

Astra Zeneca has performed really well
Agree there Mike. Got my second armful of AZ's finest last Monday and not even had the hangover-like symptoms I had first time round. (Now the pubs are partially reopened had to pay out my own pocket for that delight)

I've read there seems to have begun a fan-like rivalry between the recipients of the various manufacturers. If that's the case, definitely "Team AZ" for me!

PS: Given the vigorous debate elsewhere on here about 23rd April perhaps we should finally ditch that incomer St G and adopt a new patron "Saint" who rode to the rescue of our benighted isle.
St Astra perhaps?
Or maybe St Zeneca??

I'd go for the former..
Per Astra ad Ardua - not the first time that name has cropped up in a national crisis.

Last edited:

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree there Mike. Got my second armful of AZ's finest last Monday and not even had the hangover-like symptoms I had first time round. (Now the pubs are partially reopened had to pay out my own pocket for that delight)

I've read there seems to have begun a fan-like rivalry between the recipients of the various manufacturers. If that's the case, definitely "Team AZ" for me!

PS: Given the vigorous debate elsewhere on here about 23rd April perhaps we should finally ditch that incomer St G and adopt a new patron "Saint" who rode to the rescue of our benighted isle.
St Astra perhaps?
Or maybe St Zeneca??
Careful what you wish for G2K. St. Hancock of Newmarket might be considering self-canonisation.

IndoMike

Careful what you wish for G2K. St. Hancock of Newmarket might be considering self-canonisation.
When you say Newmarket, are you referring to Hancock's part-time job as a bookie at the races?

Grecian2K

If that's the case can I be first to set light to the fuse?
(Although, as in most events during the hopeless one's miserable existence said squib would almost certainly turn out to be a damp one)

tavyred

Considering the U.K. Government’s pivotal role in its development, perhaps St. Boris might be a suitable replacement for old Georgy Boy. 👍

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
When you say Newmarket, are you referring to Hancock's part-time job as a bookie at the races?
The lucky people of Newmarket have Matt as their Right Honourable representative in the Mother of Parliaments Mike.

Alhough he may well have a stall down on the rails on a Saturday, fleecing the punters and splitting the proceeds to his mate or sister down the pub afterwards.