• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
err....titter...err

You didn't think Stamer could do worse than Gramps? Then think again.

Mr Jinx

And so I've found out this morning that one of the Dr Seuss books we have in our collection is now hitting the £70 mark on ebay given that the publisher is stopping its publication.

The title is "Scrambled Eggs Super" and the whole collection of 30 Cat in the Hat books we bought for the kids on ebay only came to £25.

I've been through the book this morning and found the two offending lines:

"And those trout...well they're sweet cause they only eat Wogs
And Wogs, after all, are the world's sweetest frogs"

He's only used that word because it rhymed with frogs. I can't see from the illustration of said frog that it was inferring a racial line.

Anyway, the woke brigade claim another scalp in their history re-write and get more books to put on the fire (or ebay for a song).

#EveryCloud
They're now going for £130 each on eBay!!

And I just found out we've not got 1 copy, but 2!!!

Happy days.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think RP is yer man on this.
My gut feeling is this isn’t over, apparently in response to Sturgeon’s amnesia on many of the questions posed to her yesterday Salmond has provided the inquiry 40 additional items of evidence to hammer home his submissions of Friday. I can’t help but think Salmond is sitting on something big and is just biding his time before he goes for it.
Who cares ? Two politicians, one of whom is lying, but who knows which one.

Impressive 8 hours spent under the grill for 'wee Krankie' though, obfuscating and evading for Scotland. Can't imagine Spaff coping for 8 minutes ! :ROFLMAO:
I concur with both. Sturgeon put up an apparent Tour de Force, that no Westminster politician would ever be expected to be subjected to. However some of this was self-inflicted by the fact there were so many questions to answer, the fact that the SG had to be dragged kicking and screaming to release evidence - some of which was only released at 6pm the night before - and the way she answered every question in a long-winded monologue.

Predictably enough Sturgeon turned the tables and tried to make it a re-trial of Salmond, and she was able to bat off the 'conspiracy theory' claims quite easily because there isn't any evidence (yet) to move it beyond his word vs hers. No-one seriously doubts Salmond behaved appallingly but that is not what the inquiry was supposed to be about.

Where she flannelled is in the areas she is on dodgiest ground. The 29th March meeting, the way the early stages of the investigation were conducted and her not credible line of "my recollection is" version of these events, contrasting with her multiple statements since to Hollyrood and sworn evidence given by her husband. Personally I have little doubt she broke the (strict) Ministerial Code and she actually seemed more rattled in Hollyrood today, with her slightly sinister "let's wait and see what the inquiries say". I still think the Hamilton inquiry is the more dangerous one as that is solely concerned with breaches of the Ministerial Code and that i due to report in a few weeks. Despite the fact that FM's have resigned for less, I suspect she will cling on and use the May elections as the 'judgement upon her', when she can obviously use the issue as pseudo vote of confidence, even though it is a parliamentary election not a presidential one.

There is still the possibility that more evidence gets released (the SG have still witheld lots), or that Salmond comes up with something more - but for now, I think it will go quiet for a couple of weeks until there are conclusions published.

elginCity

Tory MPs say technology key to avoiding hard Irish border

Nearly three years on - an absolute age in technology terms. The ERG strangely muted on this solution, eerily quiet, no deal silent.

Last edited:

arthur

Tory MPs say technology key to avoiding hard Irish border

Nearly three years on - an absolute age in technology terms. The ERG strangely muted on this solution, eerily quiet, no deal silent.
I wonder how their research is coming along

Grecian2K

To most of the ERG members the epitome of "new technology" is the abacus and the clay tablet!
(Apart from JRM - he's still struggling to come to terms with the wheel)

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
To most of the ERG members the epitome of "new technology" is the abacus and the clay tablet!
(Apart from JRM - he's still struggling to come to terms with the wheel)
To be fair, Raab has researched where Dover is.

Rosencrantz

Philip Rutnam: Ex-Home Office boss settles unfair dismissal case - BBC News
Nice one Priti!

With brushwork like this you really should join the Witham curling team. :mad:
Of course it was right the government defended this case and does not accept liability which is why they have paid £340k and £30k costs of taxpayers money to get Boris and Priti out of having to give evidence 🤔.

Grecian2K

To be fair, Raab has researched where Dover is.
Or Dubris as they prefer to call it.

IndoMike

As G2K pointed out above:

Priti Patel reaches £340,000 settlement with ex-Home Office chief Philip Rutnam

More public money gone up in smoke.