• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
£2bn seems an awful lot. I still don't think we should give them a handout.
Ok. Let them die, and nevermind the interests of the many businesses that rely on Eurostar in normal times.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Which part of these 15 manifesto elements excluded the white working class?

tavyred

The easy semantic shift is to say that any group that campaigns for itself is excluding everybody else.

This take is threatened if the identifiable group's objectives are taken up more widely by others.
Then it's very useful to label those others as being 'obsessed' with identity politics.
The problem arises when political parties are seeking support from a large dominant percentage of the population and the perception is that an obsession with every bugger else exists within that party. This perception is clearly fueled by verifiable outcomes which says that things like working class white boys being now the least likely group to get a decent education. The proof will be in the pudding, but at least the Tories are saying the right things by first identifying the problem and setting out policies that may make a difference. Just seen you've referenced the last Labour manifesto, does it mention specifically the left behind communities in working class parts of England outside the metropolitan areas?

Spoonz Red E

does it mention specifically the left behind communities in working class parts of England outside the metropolitan areas?
Here are a few things that I would suggest address that.

It's important to remember that there are also left behind communities in working class parts of England inside metropolitan areas.
Or do we play one off against the other?

Local powers
While those who make decisions in Whitehall can seem distant and detached, our local councillors live among us, shopping on the same high street, using the same parks and leisure centres and sending their children to the same schools. Thriving local councils are vital to Labour’s democratic transformation of the economy.

Tory cuts, which have been deliberately targeted at the poorest areas of the country, have plunged our councils into crisis and pushed many services to breaking point. Decades of privatisation and outsourcing have hollowed out council capacity, taken money out of communities and undermined democratic accountability.

NHS
We will publish an infrastructure plan to return NHS England to the international average level of capital investment and to ensure future decisions are transparent and balanced fairly between every region.

Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
The plan will boost jobs, tackle regional inequality and improve quality of life as part of a mission to connect the country.

Schools
We will end the fragmentation and marketisation of our school system by bringing free schools and academies back under control of the people who know them best – parents, teachers and local communities. Responsibility for delivery of education and support for young people will sit with local authorities, they will manage and have responsibility for school places, including the power to open schools

We will create a National Investment Bank, backed up by a network of Regional Development Banks, to provide £250 billion of lending for enterprise, infrastructure and innovation over 10 years.

Labour will make sure that investment is spread evenly across the whole country and will give powers and funding to every region and nation of the UK.
We will bring about a radical decentralisation of power in Britain so that local people and communities are given far greater control over their own lives and prospects.

Levelling Up Across the Country
Many parts of Britain would need this investment even without a climate and environmental emergency. Years of under-investment and neglect by Westminster have left too many communities feeling powerless and too many areas left behind with low- quality jobs, weak productivity and slow growth.
We will re-establish regional Government Offices to make central government more attuned to our English regions, to support our regional investments, and to enable the shift of political power away from Westminster.

To drive that change we will unleash a record investment blitz, getting the economy moving in every corner of our country.
This is about the jobs at the end of your road. It’s about breathing new life into your area; reviving your high street; restoring the pride to your community.

Our investment blitz will upgrade our infrastructure in every town, city and region, and rebuild our schools, hospitals, care homes and housing. This is investment on a scale our country has never known.

Last edited:

elginCity

Interesting from the FT

Eurostar, the train operator that runs services through the Channel Tunnel, has called for a UK government bailout following a collapse in travel between Britain and the European continent.......
......Can someone explain why the UK Government is being asked for a bailout ?
According to the BBC - It is not Eurostar calling for a bailout, but London First (a business campaign group) asking for a government loan and rates relief.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
According to the BBC - It is not Eurostar calling for a bailout, but London First (a business campaign group) asking for a government loan and rates relief.

HS1, who as I mentioned make a load of money off Eurostar, have also been campaigning for it

angelic upstart

These corporate bail outs, is there the appetite for the government to invest in shares of the company and potentially make a few quid further down the line, rather than give them money with a tiny interest rate that will likely never be paid back and the interest likely less than inflation.

I hope this makes sense I have a child drinking a bottle on my lap currently and am already aware I’m a bad father for doing this.

Grecian2K

These corporate bail outs, is there the appetite for the government to invest in shares of the company and potentially make a few quid further down the line, rather than give them money with a tiny interest rate that will likely never be paid back and the interest likely less than inflation.
Like wot Mr Brown and Mr Darling did with some of the banks a decade or so ago?

angelic upstart

I guess so

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster

I hope this makes sense I have a child drinking a bottle on my lap currently and am already aware I’m a bad father for doing this.
Sounds a bit like nationalisation to me, you commie