• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Due to the time needed for ratification - the clock has almost run down on any EU/UK trade agreement. A potential No Deal was once a big deal in Parliament back along, but no longer it would appear. Well, not if PMQs is anything to go by, with its 'Captain Hindsight' knockabout stuff. If anything needs sorting...
Rumours of a deal are thick. Barnier to update leaders on Friday.

Panic not, all will be well 😁

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster

Katya Adler, one of the few decent journalists left at the BBC, said a few weeks ago that fishing is so insignificant economically that neither side will allow it to be a deal breaker. So any breakthrough in that department doesn't herald all that much.

What is far more important and contentious is the level playing field and the disputes arbitration process. Johnson will have to yield on these if he is to have any sort of deal, no doubt to the delight of the take back control/global Britain gloriously unchained brigade. What think you, Tavy and Jinx?

Mr Jinx

Doubt it. It's not a quarter to midnight on NYE yet.

Katya Adler, one of the few decent journalists left at the BBC, said a few weeks ago that fishing is so insignificant economically that neither side will allow it to be a deal breaker. So any breakthrough in that department doesn't herald all that much.

Economically perhaps, but it's become much more significant than just 0.7% of GDP. I blame Bob Geldof but I can see Johnson holding no quarter.

DB9

Doubt it. It's not a quarter to midnight on NYE yet.

Economically perhaps, but it's become much more significant than just 0.7% of GDP. I blame Bob Geldof but I can see Johnson giving no quarter.
Not so economically but more of a "Symbol" of British waters and territory?

elginCity

A kind of de facto member state on the outside then. The Frog's Reform UK would then pivot from anti-lockdown to let's take back control again. Oh, what fun.

Mr Jinx

Not so economically but more of a "Symbol" of British waters and territory?
Yes, you're right, but not just that. Fishing became symbolic for the plight of the common British working man during the EU Ref campaign didn't it. Fishermen were heckled by foreign tax-efficient millionaire rock star Geldof. It encapsulated the Remain v Leave argument in a microcosm.

DB9

Yes, you're right, but not just that. Fishing became symbolic for the plight of the common British working man during the EU Ref campaign didn't it. Fishermen were heckled by foreign tax-efficient millionaire rock star Geldof. It encapsulated the Remain v Leave argument in a microcosm.
I'd say it was mainly Farage v Geldof, Two very well off middle aged people trying to "Speak" for others as usual.

Mr Jinx

Incidentally, amidst the ongoing Red on Red Starmer/Corbyn kerfuffle, did anyone else catch the other bit of Left infighting yesterday which culminated in Guardian journalist Suzanne Moore handing in her resignation and leaving the paper after many years?

The whole transphobic row the likes of JK Rowling has gotten involved in just baffles me. Suzanne Moore took a similar side back in March and now she's been hounded out by her colleagues.

Best just let them get on with it I guess, as the rest of us look on rather bemused.

DB9

Did Ms Moore "incite" a pro or anti view of JK Rowling's menstration point?

Mr Jinx

Did Ms Moore "incite" a pro or anti view of JK Rowling's menstration point?
Pro Rowling I believe. Didn't go down well with her other lefty chums apparently. Fellow journos at the Graun that write articles about robots being sexist, no doubt.

Am I being a bit old fashioned if I say someone that is born a boy is effectively still a boy even if he doesn't want to be a boy?

Reactions: DB9