• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jewish groups calling out his non apology, exeweb’s resident Labourites saying he’s done enough.
The left’s problem with Jews neatly encapsulated. 🤷‍♂️
It's going to be interesting to see what Starmer does now.

Does he expel Corbyn and go down a legal route, or let him hang around like a bad smell?

Personally, I think it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup but I know there's a lot of others out there that think it's a really big deal. And if Corbyn does stay, it's going to dominate things the next 4 years and I suppose gives the right wing press a few open goals come the next GE.

Interestingly, in Labour's NEC election last week, Momentum candidates won 7 out of the 15 positions on offer. Regardless of whether Corbyn stays or goes, Corbynism looks like it's here to stay for quite a while longer.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interestingly, in Labour's NEC election last week, Momentum candidates won 7 out of the 15 positions on offer. Regardless of whether Corbyn stays or goes, Corbynism looks like it's here to stay for quite a while longer.
That was always going to happen given the Labour membership (if Conservatives had a similar system you'd see a whole bunch of ERG types voted in). I'm actually surprised Momentum weren't the majority. For Starmer to have it is a minor victory for him, and makes his job a bit easier.

arthur

It's going to be interesting to see what Starmer does now.

Does he expel Corbyn and go down a legal route, or let him hang around like a bad smell?

Personally, I think it's all a bit of a storm in a teacup but I know there's a lot of others out there that think it's a really big deal. And if Corbyn does stay, it's going to dominate things the next 4 years and I suppose gives the right wing press a few open goals come the next GE.

This is all very tedious - I keep finding things to agree with you about. Corbyn should not be a big deal if things are handled properly.

Due process has been applied - a properly disciplinary panel deliberated and gave its verdict without any interference from the leader.

Jeremy Corbyn has said he supports the implementation of all the recommendations of the EHRC report. The Labour Party should get on with this job, and report progress often and loudly.

Everyone else, including Margaret Hodge, should shut up. If the woman in charge of the Board of Deputies wishes to carry on complaining and demanding Corbyn's expulsion, she has every right to do so, but that doesn't mean the Labour Party has to slavishly follow her instructions.

And Mr Corbyn and his followers should never forget that if the idiot had kept his mouth shut on the day the EHRC report was published, Labour wouldn't be in this position.

Interesting news about the NEC - thanks for that, which I missed. I rather agree with Hermann that this is not a huge victory for Corbyn's mob and the Guardian reports that Although candidates from the party’s left did better than some expected, Keir Starmer’s supporters have a working majority on the ruling committee.

Alistair will no doubt be delighted that the political genius that is Laura Pidcock is back on the national stage. The daughter of the Durham coalfield and acolyte of "Jeremy" who managed to lose the seat she'd grown up in to a Tory - clearly just the person to revive the Party's fortunes.

Mr Jinx

That was always going to happen given the Labour membership
Not really. It was the Labour membership that elected Starmer as Leader and by quite some margin too.

I did see both sides claimed it as victory. It would have been a disaster for Sir K had Momentum got more than 7, so from that perspective you could say it was a win for Starmer. But as Momentum were far from being totally crushed, there's a lot of life in the old dog left.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Starmer has decided not to reinstate the whip so Corbyn is a Labour member but not a member of the PLP

"Present but not involved" as one might say

tavyred

Starmer has decided not to reinstate the whip so Corbyn is a Labour member but not a member of the PLP

"Present but not involved" as one might say
It’s getting messy.
Pro Starmer MP’s not happy that Corbyn has been reinstated for political reasons before an independent disciplinary system was due to come in this month. An independent disciplinary procedure is a legal requirement of the EHRC report BTW.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s getting messy.
Pro Starmer MP’s not happy that Corbyn has been reinstated for political reasons before an independent disciplinary system was due to come in this month. An independent disciplinary procedure is a legal requirement of the EHRC report BTW.
I have no time for Corbyn but I'm not sure he should be subject to disciplinary proceedings under a system that doesn't yet exist?

Agree it is messy - the three major parties in terms of Westminster seats all have significant internal strife.

I note that the SNP yet again failed to meet a deadline for submission of evidence to the Salmond enquiry. Given the information was requested two years ago, I am surprised by this!

tavyred

The suggestion is that the unusually short period of time Corbyn spent on suspension was the result of the NEC wanting MG back in the fold before the new independent procedures came in. Bearing in mind that one of the major complaints about Labour by the EHRC was political interference in the disciplinary process, it might have prudent to keep MG suspended for a few more weeks.

arthur

It’s getting messy.
Yes, the whole thing's a shambles. Sort it out Starmerthorpe

elginCity

Due to the time needed for ratification - the clock has almost run down on any EU/UK trade agreement. A potential No Deal was once a big deal in Parliament back along, but no longer it would appear. Well, not if PMQs is anything to go by, with its 'Captain Hindsight' knockabout stuff. If anything needs sorting...