• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

cannockred

You have a weird definition of democracy.
Democracy is the acceptance of the views of many, that may be opposed to yours, by seeking the views of the entirity of those who wish to express an opinion.

For example,those who wished to express a view on brexit or not, voted by 54% to 48% to leave europe.

Just because you voted to remain, (I am assuming) it does not mean that the vote was not democratic. Remain lost, we have left.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unfortunately this is NOT happening with the politicians in this country at the moment.
They wonder why the population are sceptical about anything that is said.
Political leaders with their separate agendas in their fiefdoms.
24B7C2C5-DAD6-437D-80FE-DCF3D1ADB7D0.jpeg

Rosencrantz

voted by 54% to 48% to leave europe.
Typical Brexiter conflation of details 😉

lamrobhero

Democracy is the acceptance of the views of many, that may be opposed to yours, by seeking the views of the entirity of those who wish to express an opinion.

For example,those who wished to express a view on brexit or not, voted by 54% to 48% to leave europe.

Just because you voted to remain, (I am assuming) it does not mean that the vote was not democratic. Remain lost, we have left.
I though that the referendum result was 51.89% Leave and 48.11% Remain.

cannockred

I though that the referendum result was 51.89% Leave and 48.11% Remain.
Sorry, caught the 2 instead of the 4 :p, so you are agreeing then it was a democratic vote for leave then?

Last edited:

cannockred

Typical Brexiter conflation of details 😉
How do you know what I voted for, if anything? For your info, I did not vote. :whistle:

tavyred

An Irish papers view on where we are in the Brexit negotiations.
Apparently a deal is likely despite the rhetoric from Number 10. Looks like the bulk of the concessions could come from the EU side, including the possible payment of a fee to the U.K. for access to U.K. waters.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster

None of that was part of the "definition" of democracy in your post, in which included the only definition was the odd idea that democracy means I "chose" Brexit. It does not. In fact the opposite is true: I didn't choose it, and therefore I reserve the right to point out why I feel it is a bad idea. That's my democratic right.

Reactions: DB9

lamrobhero

Sorry, caught the 2 instead of the 4 :p, so you are agreeing then it was a democratic vote for leave then?
The Cameron Conservative Party promised a referendum. The result meant that they were duty bound to take the country out of the EU. A Norway style arrangement would have fulfilled that promise. And that is the point, politics is like life it is complicated and does not fir into 'simple' binary choices. For this reason I am not a big fan of deciding issues by a referendum.
The politcs of it was similar to the politics of the Wilson referendum in the 1970s. Cameron had a divided party and instead of showing leadership and dealing with the issue directly he avoided responsibility.
Similarly with Farage when has he ever taken responsiblity shown leadership and ever done anything real? All he does is whinge and posture from the sidelines.
Your side has won and the future is a country run in the interests of the toffs and the oligarchs. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
While NZ has been widely praised for their response to Covid-19, It seems Ms Ardern's "Be Kind" message doesn't resonate with a large section of its population and looks like they have real trouble brewing on the horizon economically.

Incidentally this doesn't seem to have impacted her election performance, as it looks like she's just won a landslide victory.