• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lest we forget also that the EU’s sainted food standards had no issue with the turkey twizzler. 🤢

Oldsmobile-88

Lest we forget also that the EU’s sainted food standards had no issue with the turkey twizzler. 🤢
Food has been historically cheap in the past few decades.Not many questions have been asked why.
Pay a realistic price for food,there will then not be so much insane waste.

angelic upstart

There’s a wealth of cheap, poor quality food out there already. No doubt about it. I really don’t think the nation needs more of it, even if we could have it in a trade deal. I’d rather standards were raised and a massive education piece on food.

lamrobhero

not wanting to be hamstrung by rigid inflexible laws on food standards sounds the pragmatic choice to me.
Instead we are going to have 'British' rigid inflexible laws that paossibly won't apply throughout the EU.
The reality is that EU laws in thr field of consumer protection are well written and have developed over time. I doubt that 'British' laws will be any better. Plus the EU framework offers freedom of movement within the EU and economies of scale for the enforcement structure.
The idea that an advantage of leaving the EU is that we can have 'British' laws in this area is laughable - only in the minds of free market purists and those that concern themselves with hedgehog crisps and bendy bananas.

Last edited:

lamrobhero

I see that the mobile phone companies are saying that they will not be re-introducing roaming charges within the EU ..... yet

tavyred

Instead we are going to have 'British' rigid inflexible laws that paossibly won't apply throughout the EU.
The reality is that EU laws in thr field of consumer protection are well written and have developed over time. I doubt that 'British' laws will be any better. Plus the EU framework offers freedom of movement within the EU and economies of scale for the enforcement structure.
The idea that an advantage of leaving the EU is that we can have 'British' laws in this area is laughable - only in the minds of free market purists and those that concern themselves with hedgehog crisps and bendy bananas.
It’s perfectly legitimate to think that the way the EU does things is just better or that being part of an entity like the EU means we escape inferior British law, but in case you hadn’t noticed this has been crux of the whole Brexit argument, the country has rejected the primacy of EU law and opted instead for better or worse to give our lawmakers at Westminster the power again to decide things like food standards. It’s going to be a strange set of circumstances that sees Westminster opting to reduce food standards to a level that means the U.K. cannot sell into the EU and all the noises I’ve heard is that the U.K. wants to exceed EU standards on food.
I get that you think that in comparison to the EU the U.K. is just that little bit inferior, but some of us disagree.

elginCity

Incidentally this doesn't seem to have impacted her election performance, as it looks like she's just won a landslide victory.
Historic landslide victory for 'Saint Jacinda'.

Strong, decisive leadership which put the wellbeing of its people first and foremost. The tough lands of the Maori, rugby and sheep farming is backing the liberal democratic values of its compassionate leader to the hilt.

Truly a beacon of hope in this fecked up world. NZ - we salute you !

elginCity

.... the country has rejected the primacy of EU law and opted instead for better or worse to give our lawmakers at Westminster the power again to decide things like food standards. ....
Unfathomable isn't it ? A single market and customs union of 500 million people not wanting its trade rules to be decided by Westminster alone. They only allowed us a seat, representation and an influential voice at the top table - not enough ! Let's pick our ball up and take it home - we're not playing any more, that'll teach 'em ! :ROFLMAO:

DB9

Historic landslide victory for 'Saint Jacinda'.

Strong, decisive leadership which put the wellbeing of its people first and foremost. The tough lands of the Maori, rugby and sheep farming is backing the liberal democratic values of its compassionate leader to the hilt.

Truly a beacon of hope in this fecked up world. NZ - we salute you !
I'm not sure if the NZ Labour Party means they are similar to the Labour Party here, If they are then perhaps she could give Starmer a few tips on how to bring a country together and get elected with a decent mandate?

elginCity

I'm not sure if the NZ Labour Party means they are similar to the Labour Party here, If they are then perhaps she could give Starmer a few tips on how to bring a country together and get elected with a decent mandate?
Both are centre left, DB. They'll share the same values.