• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Say what you like about Gove, it was a joy to see him hand Blackford's arse back to McPillock on Monday.

In case you missed it...

Wonder if he's making a play for the big job? If so, consider it a successful first round job interview.
No sound when I click on :(

IndoMike

Fake news

lamrobhero

I know this is old news, but I have only just become aware of it. Maybe of relevance to current WA debate?

Michael Gove a ‘fanatic’ who would damage peace process

IndoMike

If I hear Hancock or any other Minister saying "we're working around the clock to blah blah blah" I think I'll explode.
Hancock. Just do what you promised to do months ago, you bloody goon, or get out of it.
What happened about the world-beating test and trace system?? Already forgotten about that??
Where are we with the 10 million tests per day?? Do you think we're stupid? You're the one who's stupid.
Why have you pressed schools to return but are not providing any testing equipment for them? Why weren't you prepared?
Why is it always "tomorrow", but never "now"?
Hancock : You and the Govt are a disgrace. You have no shame. Resign!

Rosencrantz

I'll make a note then.

Ignore several years of medical training at Nottingham University.
Ignore years of practice as a GP since 2004.
Ignore the longstanding issue of the NHS under pressure.

Concentrate on the fact that Huffpost and the Guardian have quoted her (along with the Express, Mail, BBC and others).

It's a shame she's not that other Doctor Zoe Norris who called out the 'lefty anti government' BMA for their working practices and was written up supportively in the Daily Mail

Oh.

She is.

Now I'm confused.
You miss the point entirely Spoonz. When you hear someone in the media say something on a subject they are qualified in and you disagree with them, you don't have to come up with a counterpoint argument based on experience and fact. All you do is search for a reason to invalidate their experienced and reasoned views by association. You don't even have to find any inconsistencies in their previous view on the subject or even look for an alternative view backed up equally with experience, expertise and facts and say "I prefer that view because of X, Y and Z based on the sources available".

It's much quicker and saves time to invalidate people at the stroke of a newspaper column. After all why should you believe anything Boris says, he wrote for the Torygraph 😂. Why go to the trouble of having to point out the inconsistencies and exaggerations and misleading comments, it's much easier to invalidate him this way, you save seconds.

elginCity

Presumably the much loved EU is squeaky clean.

Stuffers, me old bucket of whale poo, we only recently discussed that very history lesson from you on aircraft wings. It was a silly historical tit-for-tat thing with the Yanks who’d already subsidised Boeing against dem WTO rools. Signing bilateral International treaties one minute and ignoring them the next is a whole different ballgame. As you well know.

tavyred

The truth is that some experts invalidate themselves if they or the media outlet don't acknowledge from the start their well known political allegiances and sometimes their quite overt political activism. I'm not overly bothered by the sight of an expert going on tv to slag the government off, I'm more bothered by the fact that the same expert would not do the same thing to a government if he or she agreed with them on political grounds. That is not not expert opinion, that is political bias. The MSM feed that political bias if they do not do the due diligence to identify those who would alter their expert opinions to suit their own political bias.
A case in point is a well known American/Canadian expert on Coronavirus based in Edinburgh, who when on TV couldn't give the UK government a decent chuck up if her life depended on it, but the Scottish government is wonderful apparently.
Which is a strange standpoint to have as both England and Scotland are enjoying broadly similar outcomes.

lamrobhero

The truth is that some experts invalidate themselves if they or the media outlet don't acknowledge from the start their well known political allegiances and sometimes their quite overt political activism. I'm not overly bothered by the sight of an expert going on tv to slag the government off, I'm more bothered by the fact that the same expert would not do the same thing to a government if he or she agreed with them on political grounds. That is not not expert opinion, that is political bias. The MSM feed that political bias if they do not do the due diligence to identify those who would alter their expert opinions to suit their own political bias.
A case in point is a well known American/Canadian expert on Coronavirus based in Edinburgh, who when on TV couldn't give the UK government a decent chuck up if her life depended on it, but the Scottish government is wonderful apparently.
Which is a strange standpoint to have as both England and Scotland are enjoying broadly similar outcomes.
The idea of bias in the media is an issue that I have grappled with before on this thread. I am not really bothered about supposed political allegiances or overt political activism. I look at what they are saying the evidence for it and the rationale behind it. Bias usually shows itself by what people do not say rather than what they do say.
I have a low opinion of the BBC not because I think that they are bias but because amongst other things they do not properly separate fact from opinion. Their superstar political correspondents present their opinion as truth. It also makes it difficult to properly interrogate politicians.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The truth is that some experts invalidate themselves if they or the media outlet don't acknowledge from the start their well known political allegiances and sometimes their quite overt political activism.
Which is exactly right. I explained carefully enough that Doctor Norris not only Blogged for Huffpost-Uk but wrote various articles for the Graun which would tell anyone twice over where her political sympathies Lie - they can always check it out for themselves. As for her medical expertise, I'm sure she is a very capable as are many other doctors who would dismiss her leftist theories and opinions out of hand.

Rosencrantz

Which is exactly right. I explained carefully enough that Doctor Norris not only Blogged for Huffpost-Uk but wrote various articles for the Graun which would tell anyone twice over where her political sympathies Lie - they can always check it out for themselves. As for her medical expertise, I'm sure she is a very capable as are many other doctors who would dismiss her leftist theories and opinions out of hand.
Testing demand going up when the school's fully opened again and as we go into autumn and winter isn't a political opinion. It's a medical opinion which really you shouldn't much medical knowledge to realise. With the problems around testing at the moment, it's hardly an invalid conclusion to make, whatever your political leanings, that it was something that didn't need hindsight to see coming that testing capacity would be under pressure.