• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looking at events in Hungary this weekend, then suspension from the EU (if that’s possible of course) must be becoming an option for Brussels.
I do hope so. And not before time

arthur

The E.U. Superstate is the direction of travel. More Europe. More Europe. Just listen to Merkel and Macaroon.

If that destination does not appeal (which it does not to me) then the sooner your leave the better.
I imagine New York and California (and several others) will feel much the same should Trump prevail in November

elginCity

Well, let's just say in a world of competing large trading blocs I'm far more fearful of splendid isolation, than any perceived threat, real or imagined, of a federal 'superstate' much further down the line.

tavyred

I do hope so. And not before time
art.
Whilst accepting you will no doubt view Brexit as wholly self inflicted wound, it can’t be lost on some Europeans at how they’ve arrived at a situation where they are saddled with Orban and his borderline authoritarian Hungary, yet somehow a net contributing mature liberal democracy country like the UK was ‘allowed’ to leave with a bit of a whimper.
All water under the bridge now of course.

arthur

art.
Whilst accepting you will no doubt view Brexit as wholly self inflicted wound, it can’t be lost on some Europeans at how they’ve arrived at a situation where they are saddled with Orban and his borderline authoritarian Hungary, yet somehow a net contributing mature liberal democracy country like the UK was ‘allowed’ to leave with a bit of a whimper.
All water under the bridge now of course.
I think it was the British who pushed most fervently for admitting the ex commie countries with only light touch scrutiny as to their readiness to participate in a liberal democratic Union. All to do with weakening the Franco German axis IIRC. But, as you say, all water under the bridge now

arthur

Well, let's just say in a world of competing large trading blocs I'm far more fearful of splendid isolation, than any perceived threat, real or imagined, of a federal 'superstate' much further down the line.
Yes, we are being cast into darkness because those wretched Europeans insisted we follow their rules if we want to trade with them on advantageous terms. You can't imagine the Chinese or Americans stooping so low...

IndoMike

Wrong thread

IndoMike

Given the large trade deficit on goods that the U.K. has with the E.U. I am not buying that argument.
One reason for the negative balance of trade is that we ceased to be a manufacturing country and focused on services. If we had produced high quality goods at competitive prices we could have improved our balance of payments.
Secondly, if we leave without a deal we will still be importing EU goods, but at a higher price.
Thirdly, our balance of trade regarding goods whilst not insignificant is not a game changer : please remember we have maintained 2n place in the EU league of successful nations, and no shame to finish 2nd to Germany, where the governance is far better and the workers more disciplined.
In effect economically there was no problem at all being a member of the EU.
Finally, we will lose cooperation in many areas, cultural exchange, freedom of travel
and work opportunities in the EU, and like-minded friends
Doesn't sound so great to me.

Grecian2K

Sounds to me like Tavy has borrowed some of Boris's flip-flops to wear on here?!

IndoMike

Letter to the Yorkshire Post:

"COULD Alexander Stafford, MP for Rother Valley, explain how leaving the EU will produce “dividends that will turbo-charge our economy” (The Yorkshire Post, July 17)?

After four years of searching, I have still not seen any evidence that severing links with our major trading partner is going to be good for British business and jobs. Plenty of wishful thinking, like Mr Stafford presents, but 
no credible explanation or evidence.

Recent evidence suggests we will be spending £700 million on new border controls and the extra red tape will cost UK exporters £7bn – every year".

Reminds me of my posts to the Brexiters on Exeweb ..