• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
"That`s an important part of the EU credo Ant. (*or Al).
Richer countries give cash to the poorer ones in order for them build up there economies and later down the line they start buying our Nissan Qashqai`s."

-
Tavyred (May 2015 )
Given the large trade deficit on goods that the U.K. has with the E.U. I am not buying that argument.

tavyred

So what happened about "in an uncertain and dangerous world, the sooner we go balls deep into the European experiment the better." ?
During the course of the referendum campaign Indo, I changed my mind.

arthur

During the course of the referendum campaign Indo, I changed my mind.
And you can always change it back again. We risk being friendless in an uncertain global world. We have "taken back control" from a club we were members of, where we had a say in making the rules, only to become desperate supplicants to the likes of China and the US as we strive for assymetric trade deals in order to save face, if not our economy. Meanwhile Johnson, like May before him, lectures the Scots on the importance of not severing ties with your largest trading partner.

Still, we will shortly join Somalia, South Sudan and East Timor as one of only four countries in the world not some sort of trade bloc with their neighbours. Just rejoice at that news!

tavyred

"That`s an important part of the EU credo Ant. (*or Al).
Richer countries give cash to the poorer ones in order for them build up there economies and later down the line they start buying our Nissan Qashqai`s."

-
Tavyred (May 2015 )
I take it you were then going to quote my thoughts in April 2016. Only fair Elgy. 😀

Ever closer Union is happening and there is now real doubt that the concessions on this that Cameron supposedly negotiated on the UK`s behalf aren't worth the non-existent paper their written on.
Leaning towards out.
I have to say that at present I'm torn between thinking our current arrangement gives us the best of worlds and thinking that if the end game is a EU Superstate, then get out now before we`re forced to agree to stuff that will suit the core nations but not the UK.

elginCity

Given the large trade deficit on goods that the U.K. has with the E.U. I am not buying that argument.
A trade deficit needs financing though, Al. We're a trading nation, and by helping to level up near neighbour European states, and later demand, for our goods and services makes absolute sense, as Tavy once pointed out. :)

elginCity

The threat of an EU superstate ? We'd always had a veto and Article 50 tucked away in our back pocket as insurance against that move, should it even ever happen against our will.

Alistair20000

A trade deficit needs financing though, Al. We're a trading nation, and by helping to level up near neighbour European states, and later demand, for our goods and services makes absolute sense, as Tavy once pointed out. :)
Elgy, I have never seen the sense in chucking money to another country in the hope of getting some of it back in trading profits. Not good business.

I do not agree with chucking money at British businesses either but that is another matter.

I can see the sense in loaning money to another country which fosters profitable trading so that the original investment is repaid and trading profits are earned on top. The E.U. does not work that way though. It is a political project where sound economics are subjugated to the political objective. The Euro being the prime example.

tavyred

The threat of an EU superstate ? We'd always had a veto and Article 50 tucked away in our back pocket as insurance against that move, should it even ever happen against our will.
I remember Juncker saying that non Eurozone countries would be ignored as a matter of principle when it came to the stated aim of an ever closer union.

Alistair20000

The E.U. Superstate is the direction of travel. More Europe. More Europe. Just listen to Merkel and Macaroon.

If that destination does not appeal (which it does not to me) then the sooner your leave the better.

tavyred

Looking at events in Hungary this weekend, then suspension from the EU (if that’s possible of course) must be becoming an option for Brussels.