• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well I hope your people have a word with the Premier League whose players keep sucking up to the chattering classes. And the Exeter chattering classes must be pleased as well following what happened at Wembley recently
As your man Keir says, it’s a moment and IMO becoming rapidly passé.
That virtue signalling photo will last forever though and no doubt come back to haunt him as BLM’s ‘agenda’ comes more sharply into focus.

tavyred

Starmer is doing what he needs to do, Not to get too political and disagree for the sake of it like Corbyn would be doing during this pandemic and quietly going about dismantling Momentums grip on the Labour Party and TBH this virus has made it perfect for him to do this.
TBH, I think he’s got the tone of his COVID response pretty much spot on. Opposition for the sake of it was not where public opinion was at the height of the crisis.

Reactions: DB9

arthur

As your man Keir says, it’s a moment and IMO becoming rapidly passé.
That virtue signalling photo will last forever though and no doubt come back to haunt him as BLM’s ‘agenda’ comes more sharply into focus.
Dream on!

Reluctant as I am to post yet another Guardian article ((I've been trying to give them up, and leave that to Mike), you might find this interesting about Stunning and the Droves who voted for him. It acknowledges his stunningness, explains how leaders operate (they need followers) and wonders whether he can carry the act off for much longer. Give it ago - if you like it I have another one for you about the joys of social conservatism:

And leaders are never just leaders, they are always leaders of a particular social group – a nation, a political party, a religion. The same is true of followers. Those on the inside often cannot understand why outsiders don’t revere their leader. Those on the outside are equally uncomprehending of how anyone could. Think Thatcher. Think Corbyn. Think Johnson. So, leadership is a group process: and, more specifically, it is the cultivation of a “we” relationship between leaders and followers.

In addition, effective leaders are not passive. They actively craft the group narrative and their own personal narrative to make the two mesh: they are skilled entrepreneurs of identity.

arthur

And perhaps you could enlighten us as to what BLM's agenda is?

arthur

Another attack on Johnson from that pillar of the Liberal Left MSM

tavyred

With respect art, I know you think BJ is the left’s biggest asset but what happened in the GE transcends even the ‘stunning’ electoral record of BJ. It really isn’t the revelation you think it is to link to the umpteen political commentators of all colours who hate BJ and think he is a dangerous Wazzock.
Even if BJ and Tories get blamed wholly and completely for the UK’s virus response, what happened in December was way more seminal as regards voting patterns than you think.
I don’t think you truly realise the job Labour has on to stop the Tories winning again. No end of disparaging articles about BJ and DC can change that reality I’m afraid.

arthur

With respect art, I know you think BJ is the left’s biggest asset but what happened in the GE transcends even the ‘stunning’ electoral record of BJ. It really isn’t the revelation you think it is to link to the umpteen political commentators of all colours who hate BJ and think he is a dangerous Wazzock.
Even if BJ and Tories get blamed wholly and completely for the UK’s virus response, what happened in December was way more seminal as regards voting patterns than you think.
I don’t think you truly realise the job Labour has on to stop the Tories winning again. No end of disparaging articles about BJ and DC can change that reality I’m afraid.
I didn't think it was a disparaging article. It merely outlined the reasons for his success and wondered if they would still endure.

The fact that you view this as disparaging suggests you're rattled. Excellent!

elginCity

An advantage for Johnson is his greater political and parliamentary experience. Starmer has made a great start, is on a steep learning curve,
but is new to the arena. I think he'll need to get the next four years under his belt, but he learns fast.

IndoMike

On a point of information Stuffy is the spokesperson for the Quiet People (who will immediately vote Tory whenever someone writes graffiti on a statue apparently). Tavy's constituency is "the white working class" or, as they are otherwise known, "The People" who have blessed us with a "People's Government".
I wouldn't say that Tavey's constituency is the white working class : I'd say it was the white, reactionary, insular class which tends towards the "isms" and an unexplainable nationalistic fervour.
Remember it was some of the Eton class who wanted to do a deal with Hitler. Remember Edward Mosely. The Rees - Smug types.
Nationalism - "we are better than other nations and races"- is not exclusive to the working class, but one might say they are more likely to.be persuaded by it and more likely to act in an overt way.
I saw a news investigation on the TV a few days ago. There is no doubt that extreme right - wing "activism" is growing fast on the dark web. Only recently the Police Commissioner said that the police are now more concerned about the far right in the UK than any other extremist groups.
Now I'm not suggesting the Cat and Tavers are such extremists - they're too old for a start 🙄😉- but I am suggesting that the conclusion from reading their posts is that they are nationalistic rather than patriotic, reactionary, harping back to when the British Empire was "great", and suffering from "isms". More Rees-Smug (without the money) than Little Tommy Robinson.

tavyred

Indo.
I think we've had similar discussions before where you as a 'liberal' and as a riposte to the fact that their aren't enough of your kind to get your politics of choice elected, seek to portray me and others as pseudo fascists. This tactic hasn't worked yet, why you would think it would now Gawd knows. Perhaps it just makes you and the angry left feel better about a inhabiting an electorally unpopular 'political space'.
I get that you can't fathom blue collar patriotism and probably never will. Why would you get it? Liberal left politics is defined on its antipathy to the nation state generally and the British state specifically.
However there is hope for you and in that Sir Keir does get it and a maybe in the years ahead he can silence people like you who would rather call someone far right than understand why vast swathes of England have abandoned Labour and are now voting for an Old Etonian instead.
In an otherwise hackneyed and risible post, congratulations to you for getting Empire and Tommy Robinson in there somewhere. :)