• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Policing bill!

Red Lion

I'd be interested to know what purpose the helicopter served before kick off, behind the BB?

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd be interested to know what purpose the helicopter served before kick off, behind the BB?
Might have been an entirely separate incident.

Red Lion

Might have been an entirely separate incident.
Maybe, but do you really believe that? They hovered around for a while before they focused on the BB.
If I were a really cynical sort of chap I may think they're just 'hanging around' to justify more dosh.

Devonisgreen

The D&C police really do love this fixture, they treat it as a giant training exercise at the expense of the clubs/fans.

Chui

I think there was also the Anglo-Welsh element - if a few drunken Newport fans had started chanting anti-English stuff in the streets it could have become rather nasty rather quickly. Also Newport, like other South Walian clubs don't have the best reputation in the world, although not on the same scale as Swansea or the mighty Red Dragons of Cardiff with their 'Fire and Passion'.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe, but do you really believe that? They hovered around for a while before they focused on the BB.
If I were a really cynical sort of chap I may think they're just 'hanging around' to justify more dosh.
Of course not. Unless they were looking for someone someone specific who could have been in the crowd, chances are they use it as a way to up the bill and use it as training exercise.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sure I heard a figure of £17,000 for last years fixture. We had similar Policing again so can guess it won't be far off that cost this year? That will be around £3 per person in the ground yesterday.
It would be interesting to know how much more the OB would charge if (as some have suggested) we didn't voluntarily choose to keep the policing costs down by not putting tickets on general sale like Argyle do.

Bittners a Legend

I'd guess that in reality the helicopter is used to monitor the surrounding areas but that they hover it over the ground so that we have to pay for it.

I tend to agree that it is probably used as a pay day but let us not forget that both ourselves and Plymouth have a fair share of idiots who associate themselves with the club and cause trouble.

The Leeds judgement was quite significant but I doubt anybody at the club has read it, understood it or knows how to use it. In any case most of the policing seemed to be in the ground.

RichCounty27

I think there was also the Anglo-Welsh element - if a few drunken Newport fans had started chanting anti-English stuff in the streets it could have become rather nasty rather quickly. Also Newport, like other South Walian clubs don't have the best reputation in the world, although not on the same scale as Swansea or the mighty Red Dragons of Cardiff with their 'Fire and Passion'.
As a County fan (who lives in Plymouth but can't stand the Pilgrims) I'm not sure our reputation is deserved. Having contacted the police after our game at SJP, I was told that the increased police presence was down to "intelligence" received in the days leading up to the game that indicated potential trouble. Difficult to say if that increased presence stopped any trouble from occurring but I think the Police Chief told me there was one arrest and one ejection from the ground (but did not confirm either were from Newport).

Always nice to see Heddlu down these parts though!

Hopefully we can beat Argiggle for you in two weeks.

FAN-TATIC

Hopefully we can beat Argiggle for you in two weeks.
Hopefully??? They are there for the taking, You should p*ss walk it!!!!!!!