• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Playing budget

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is the £500k that was offered but not taken, allocated to anything else or is it sat in the bank? I’m not advocating it’s spent on the playing budget now but curious to know what has been spent where.
I asked the question at the Trust AGM and we were informed that the Trust reserves in the bank was iirc over £800k I cant rememeber the exact amount. However, I assume the minutes of the meeting when published will also include the answers to questions from the floor?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I asked the question at the Trust AGM and we were informed that the Trust reserves in the bank was iirc over £800k I cant rememeber the exact amount. However, I assume the minutes of the meeting when published will also include the answers to questions from the floor?
I think Steve Chudley (Trust Finance Officer) said that there was (circa) £900k in the Trust bank at present. I am sure the AGM minutes will provide the detail as they usually include questions from the floor.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
My impression, re the £500K enhancement available for the playing budget that was mentioned, was that it was tentatively divided +/- 2:2:1 over three seasons. It's a balancing act but I imagine MT would have used any extra this season to improve the contracts of existing key players so would have not had headroom this September to cover the unforeseen injury to Diabate, the departure of Pond, and the entirely foreseeable absence of Stubbs?

Earlier Justin Quick had said that, other things being equal, the business was around £0.5M a year P&L negative before transfers, so transfer income of on average that amount was needed just to keep up.

That said, cashflow this season must be running well ahead of budget, and as Justin also said we are in the middle of 3 year fixed contracts with the utility companies the energy cost spike won't hit us until summer 2023.

So while Prudence is still in the building, she is not running around shouting "we are all doomed".

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
My impression, re the £500K enhancement available for the playing budget that was mentioned, was that it was tentatively divided +/- 2:2:1 over three seasons. It's a balancing act but I imagine MT would have used any extra this season to improve the contracts of existing key players so would have not had headroom this September to cover the unforeseen injury to Diabate, the departure of Pond, and the entirely foreseeable absence of Stubbs?

Earlier Justin Quick had said that, other things being equal, the business was around £0.5M a year P&L negative before transfers, so transfer income of on average that amount was needed just to keep up.

That said, cashflow this season must be running well ahead of budget, and as Justin also said we are in the middle of 3 year fixed contracts with the utility companies the energy cost spike won't hit us until summer 2023.

So while Prudence is still in the building, she is not running around shouting "we are all doomed".
Anyone want to take Prudence down to The Terrace ?
UTC

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
UTC
I refer the learned gentleman to the comment about drivel on another post you made :)

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Thanks for the very clear summary. The Alfie Pond transfer was rumoured to be about half a million so hopefully that has covered the operating loss for the season and all the extra income from crowds, cup wins etc is unbudgeted windfall income. Also I'm assuming some money is being kept back in case of last minute problems with the training ground development so if that continues to go smoothly, once it's finished that will hopefully also take some pressure off the budget.

Thames Valley Red

The money in the bank according to the accounts is closer to £1m and they male circa £180k from subs I think.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
UTC
Well, you're no longer able to take her "up The Dray"
(You may need to be a relatively ancient Exewebber to get this reference 😜)

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyhoo, back on topic (sort of)

A good win up at Blackbird Leys tomorrow week, followed by a plum FAC draw could dramatically alter the financial prospects for the January window.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyhoo, back on topic (sort of)

A good win up at Blackbird Leys tomorrow week, followed by a plum FAC draw could dramatically alter the financial prospects for the January window.
I reckon the World Cup will also play havoc with team selections for the Prem sides in January so perhaps there's a chance of a giant-killing
.... if we get to round 3.