• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Parole

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your wish is seemingly their command.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51364047
The link quotes the Justice Minister as indicating there needs to be "immediate action" but later on there is reference to "when Parliamentary time allows." Is that consistent ? It is also suggested new legislation will cover serving prisoners but I can see that running into "Human Rights" and other challenges. We really do need to be tough on these offenders with safety of the Public absolutely paramount.

If reports are correct, the Police dealt with this latest piece of human excrement within a few seconds of him kicking off so full credit to them for that and for saving us the costs of another trial.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
And not before time either , There should be a mandatory term for any terrorist related offences of 20 years.

Prison itself is no longer any sort of deterrent for anyone because of the ease of access to drugs , tv's and whatever else they seemingly need in the modern world, Lets go back to a slightly simpler time when prison was somewhere you really didn't want to go.
I remember going to visit someone in Dartmoor and them telling me "you never wanna end up in a place like this"

DB9

How about if you are sentenced say for 10 years you serve the lot, I'm sure the victims of crime live a life sentence after what happened to them. Good behaviour in prison should not be rewarded with time off, It should be duly noted that your time in prison was used constructively and I would 100% help and encourage anyone who wants a degree, Learn a trade and give them the tools of the job so if and when they're released then help them find work, home etc. The Terror suspects are different, They have been brainwashed and need to be deradicalised and TBH there are better people than me who know when they're no longer a danger to the public, Unfortunately as we've seen some still are but let go free due to a stupid law made in 2012

geoffwp

Look, I'm a commy lefty, so my mates keep tellin me, but im fully with the chuck away the key answer when it comes to these issues. Anyone who wishes harm to our society should not ever be allowed anywhere near it.

IndoMike

Look, I'm a commy lefty, so my mates keep tellin me, but im fully with the chuck away the key answer when it comes to these issues. Anyone who wishes harm to our society should not ever be allowed anywhere near it.
Better lock up Grayling, too.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a funny feeling about whether the Streatham terrorist is someone whose trial was one where an ex-colleague's daughter was on the jury. The offence and dates of the trial are fairly consistent with the trial she did.

Mr Jinx

And not before time either , There should be a mandatory term for any terrorist related offences of 20 years.

Prison itself is no longer any sort of deterrent for anyone because of the ease of access to drugs , tv's and whatever else they seemingly need in the modern world, Lets go back to a slightly simpler time when prison was somewhere you really didn't want to go.
I remember going to visit someone in Dartmoor and them telling me "you never wanna end up in a place like this"
The problem is it doesn't matter how long you lock them up for - they've still got to come out at some point. Some of the early jihadists are coming up to the end of their original full term of around 15 years. What to do with them? You'd have to lock them up for good which is problematic. And with regards to length of sentencing - should someone really be locked up for twenty years for sending some hate material to family on WhatsApp?

Lots of questions to which there are no simple answers.

Personally, I think more thorough interrogations are required in the parole review process. With correct and extensive methods, one should be able to weed out those that are still of a malicious mindset.

And I do believe prison in its current guise is still a deterrent. My bigger beef actually is with repeating petty criminals. I do believe in a 3 (or 4) strikes and out rule just to keep the buggers off the streets if nothing else. Some people are past curing.

Last edited:

IndoMike

The problem is it doesn't matter how long you lock them up for - they've still got to come out at some point. Some of the early jihadists are coming up to the end of their original full term of around 15 years. What to do with them? You'd have to lock them up for good which is problematic. And with regards to length of sentencing - should someone really be locked up for twenty years for sending some hate material to family on WhatsApp?

Lots of questions to which there are no simple answers.

Personally, I think more thorough interrogations are required in the parole review process. With correct and extensive methods, one should be able to weed out those that are still of a malicious mindset.

And I do believe prison in its current guise is still a deterrent. My bigger beef actually is with repeating petty criminals. I do believe in a 3 (or 4) strikes and out rule just to keep the buggers off the streets if nothing else. Some people are past curing.
It seems there are so many inconsistencies when dishing out sentences. I read today that a 17-yr old boy was sentenced to 12 years in prison for raping and killing his also 17-yr old ex girlfriend. I believe in fair sentencing but that does not seem a suitably harsh punishment.
Regarding Islamic terrorists, the fact is that they are brainwashed into wanting to die in order to reap heavenly benefits, but there can also be no doubt that in prison the fanaticism can spread. To change that mindset is very difficult. In my opinion the best solution is to deport them from whence they came after release. If they are homegrown, then (just an idea), the local mosque should be made responsible for helping to rehab the bloke and to monitor him.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It seems there are so many inconsistencies when dishing out sentences. I read today that a 17-yr old boy was sentenced to 12 years in prison for raping and killing his also 17-yr old ex girlfriend. I believe in fair sentencing but that does not seem a suitably harsh punishment.
Regarding Islamic terrorists, the fact is that they are brainwashed into wanting to die in order to reap heavenly benefits, but there can also be no doubt that in prison the fanaticism can spread. To change that mindset is very difficult. In my opinion the best solution is to deport them from whence they came after release. If they are homegrown, then (just an idea), the local mosque should be made responsible for helping to rehab the bloke and to monitor him.
Not seen about that sentence for the 17 year old but yes, it does seem to be too lenient (without knowing the context and background to the offence and sentence).

I agree there is something that needs to be done within the prison system. I've seen first hand how radical Islamists carry out a brainwashing of those who are easily manipulated - when I worked flipping burgers in my youth one of my colleagues was once such brainwashed soul, he had one topic of conversation. The 6-hour shifts with him used to fly by. But one by one I saw weak-willed locals gradually fall into the trap and "revert" - all of them people who weren't really getting on well in life, perhaps they were on benefits or generally quite low in the food chain. Radical Islam was for them a way of having a bit more meaning in their lives.

Similarly the prison population may be searching for a way out of their criminality, and radical Islam fills a void for them. This needs to be monitored.

Banksy

How about fitting them out with a parachute and dropping them in the middle of the Arctic Circle preferably with just their underwear on.Or would that be too expensive? I suppose not if you consider what keeping them for the rest of their lives in a luxury cell complete with surround sound tv costs.