• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Parole

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Apparently, of the 6 people convicted convicted of the plan to blow up the stock exchange, 5 have been released and the 6th will be released next year. The other conspirator Usman Khan was shot by the police yesterday.

I'm not an expert on this area of the law, but apparently parole for terrorist offences will no longer be automatic.

Are we doing this right? I worry that we're not.

Legohead

Banned
Of course we're not. Lethal injection asap required.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not an expert on this area of the law, but apparently parole for terrorist offences will no longer be automatic.
I don’t think many citizens will be losing much sleep over that Hants.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I don't think we will.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
There will be plenty of do gooders and butthurt individuals who will stand up for $hit like this , Remember Longford and who he tried to get released early.

DB9

I think in these instances if a person attempts or succeeds in a terrorist attack and manages to survive it then a whole life term without parole is the only answer, Not life with a minimum X amount of years but their whole lives. These ISIS inspired scum are taught not to care about their own lives, let alone their victims and in my view are almost impossible to be de-radicalised so yes no parole is the least they should expect

Colesman Ballz

Apparently, of the 6 people convicted convicted of the plan to blow up the stock exchange, 5 have been released and the 6th will be released next year. The other conspirator Usman Khan was shot by the police yesterday.

I gather that when the law was passed to prevent such releases, no thought was given, to stopping those who had been already convicted being prevented from obtaining parole retrospectively. So from the stock exchange plot we have another four terrorists already released on parole, and another soon to join them. When you consider how much resources will presumably be taken up now, monitoring this group of individuals now, it beggars belief. We also urgently need to know now (a) how many others might have been/ are about to be released via this loophole, and (b) if any legal action can be taken retrospectively to put this gigantic mess to rights.

Rosencrantz

Looking at the below link, it seems a **** up has taken place. When his appeal sentence was passed and applied a determined sentence and quashed the Imprisonment for Public Protection (which was abolished in 2012), it was understood that a parole board would make any early release decision. I think that automatic parole is not applicable for those found guilty of terrorism or sex offenders (unless what CB above applies?). But Leveson stated that it should be decided by parole board so it seems that the law was misunderstood or misapplied.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/30/key-questions-about-london-bridge-terrorist-usman-khan-answered

Last edited:

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster

I didn't realise until it was explained on the radio this morning by a serving Intelligence officer that it takes upwards of 25 people to keep tabs on a single terrorist released back into the community. The officer explained that the suspect would be watched around the clock 24/7 and that operatives would not only need days of but also holidays had to be taken into account. 5 x 25 = one massive wage bill.

Rosencrantz

I didn't realise until it was explained on the radio this morning by a serving Intelligence officer that it takes upwards of 25 people to keep tabs on a single terrorist released back into the community. The officer explained that the suspect would be watched around the clock 24/7 and that operatives would not only need days of but also holidays had to be taken into account. 5 x 25 = one massive wage bill.
There's a decent programme on History at the moment Damien Lewis's Spy Wars. On one of them it detailed how MI5 and MI6 foiled a plot to bring down Jumbo Jets over the Atlantic using a liquid explosive carried on board as a sealed fizzy pop drink. As they wanted to be sure of what they were dealing with and catch the top bods, they had a surveillance op using over 600 officers to follow the different cells, about 24 people if I remember correctly. They pretty much had no one to spare.

Whilst MI5 were playing the long game, the CIA got wind of it as there was a US connection and then had to be informed. They got the chance to catch/kill their guy in Pakistan so took it leaving MI5 to quickly round up all the suspects in the UK pronto!

Last edited: