• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Owura Edwards in on loan from Bristol City

Trapdoor

Thought Richardson looked better than Edwards when he was here. Stuff like positional play is the biggest concern. Matt Jay for example always had good skill and position but got bullied off the ball too much.

Edwards doesn't read the game well and doesn't position himself for the gamble. That is what is holding him back.

Boyo

This.
Matt Jay is 25.
He's had years of playing under our system.
4 years ago there were some on this board who said he didn't have what it takes.
At that point he'd made 35 appearances and scored twice.

I think if we keep Owura he could well develop.
I don't disagree Spoonz, the question of course is whether he contributes enough to us this season. Whereas loan moves are obviously supposed to be mutually beneficial, we shouldn't be in a position where there's more weight on his future development over what he can offer us now.

To be frank, I'm not sure he's good enough. His touch is really poor in terms of control and weigh of pass and he really hasn't connected with the players around him.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
This.
Matt Jay is 25.
4 years ago there were some on this board who said he didn't have what it takes.

I would be inclined to agree if he was our asset. We can't keep playing a player who clearly isn't good enough for the benefit of Bristol City and the detriment of ECFC.

He may come good, but he looks a long way off it at present.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
This.
Matt Jay is 25.

Matt Jay always had the ability it was about whether the manager had enough trust to put him in in front of more senior players. Edwards, as I've said before, looks like the kid in the school playground who you pass the ball to and then wait for him to lose it before you get a chance to see it again. He also needs to learn to run properly as he overstrides all the time which then effects his balance and thus his control over the ball and his awareness when running with the ball.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster

Trapdoor

Lad isnt going to make it if he doesnt seriously alter trajectory.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we will probably see him signing a permanent contract at either a league 2 struggler or a conference side moving forward.

Never gave me any indication he is going to be any better than us in the future (obviously plenty of time to develop).

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Had high hopes for him when he signed but just never looked good enough, sadly.

I guess this means Taylor will look for a replacement this month.

denzel

I presume they have recalled him to go on loan somewhere else?

grecIAN Harris

Had high hopes for him when he signed but just never looked good enough, sadly.

I guess this means Taylor will look for a replacement this month.
Hopefully he will be a vast improvement on Edwards. It's all well and good running round and round in circles with the ball but you have to know what you're going to do with it at the end. Sadly Edwards didn't. Raw or not, you need to know what to do with the ball if you're going to make a career out of the game.