• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

Max Payne 2

As a father to both an Oliver and an Ethan it's good to see both our former players going well. I think Ethan Ampadu will become a regular starter for Chelsea next season.

Edit: I can see Ollie Watkins and Harry Kane being the next Shearer/Sheringham.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
As a father to both an Oliver and an Ethan it's good to see both our former players going well. I think Ethan Ampadu will become a regular starter for Chelsea next season.

Edit: I can see Ollie Watkins and Harry Kane being the next Shearer/Sheringham.
Surprised Spurs didn't go in for Watkins.
I guess a few teams are cursing themselves for not doing that.

SDRighton

Surprised Spurs didn't go in for Watkins.
I guess a few teams are cursing themselves for not doing that.
Watkins was excellent at Brentford, but not many predicted he'd move this seamlessly into the Premier League. That's a shame, because the £28 million we got a cut of is starting to look very cheap.

Trapdoor

Yeah Villa got a bargain in hindsight, but he's still netted us the most transfer windfall of any player ever.

IndoMike

Watkins was excellent at Brentford, but not many predicted he'd move this seamlessly into the Premier League. That's a shame, because the £28 million we got a cut of is starting to look very cheap.
It was still one of the highest ever transfers from 2nd tier to Premiership IINM, plus an extra 5m add one that Villa might get. Tbh, I think it was win- win for all. We get a total of 6m for a Div 2 player (but with great potential), Brentford profited by 25m and Villa could sell on tomorrow for 45m or more, maybe.

Mr Jinx

Faint praise from the Guardian today: Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend's action | Football | The Guardian

1) Watkins an unaffordable goal for Gunners
Ollie Watkins is in a rich vein of form and improving by the game. His winner against Arsenal was his fourth goal in five, bringing his Premier League tally to 10 in 21 games since arriving at Aston Villa from Brentford. He could have had a couple more on Saturday but perhaps the 25-year-old’s most impressive feature is the way he leads the line. Watkins is a hive of movement, rarely giving defenders a moment’s peace, and looks as comfortable coming deep or working the channels as he does operating off the shoulder. He is exactly the kind of striker Arsenal might fancy if, as many suspect, Alexandre Lacazette moves on in the summer but there is little suggestion they would be able to afford him. “He’s selfless in terms of his workrate,” said Dean Smith, who said the £28m they paid the Championship club for his services bought them the surest thing possible. “He’s such a good footballer but a good teammate as well. The football Brentford played was Premier League ready, so I knew he was ready to come in.” Smith’s confidence is being paid back handsomely.

Arsenal wouldn't be able to afford an Ex-City player?!? I had to rub my eyes when I read that. Further big bucks sell-on further down the road?

Trapdoor

Faint praise from the Guardian today: Premier League: 10 talking points from the weekend's action | Football | The Guardian

Arsenal wouldn't be able to afford an Ex-City player?!? I had to rub my eyes when I read that. Further big bucks sell-on further down the road?
It would be at least 50mil to shift him from villa now. That's steep even for rich clubs like Arsenal.

STURTZ

They still owe us for Bastin! :mad:

Mr Jinx

It would be at least 50mil to shift him from villa now. That's steep even for rich clubs like Arsenal.
The same Arsenal who quite readily spunked £72m on Pepe? Spurs, who spent £55m on NDombele. Or Man U, £90m on Pogba. Heck, Man U spent £37m on Van Beek and don't even play him.

£50m for a proven goal scorer, home grown too, is completely affordable for most of those clubs, even now.

Alistair20000

The same Arsenal who quite readily spunked £72m on Pepe? Spurs, who spent £55m on NDombele. Or Man U, £90m on Pogba. Heck, Man U spent £37m on Van Beek and don't even play him.

£50m for a proven goal scorer, home grown too, is completely affordable for most of those clubs, even now.
If they can keep him fit that does not look expensive to me.

Don't understand why Spurs failed to sign Ollie but he might have struggled to start with Son and Kane first choices. On loan from Benifica Vinicius Alves Morais brought in to cover looks very average.