• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ollie Watkins

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeah, not sure even Brentford’s much praised way of doing things can buck the footballing food chain. I suspect young Ollie will think he’s kept to his side of the unwritten bargain as regards loyalty and it would be unreasonable I think for Brentford to play hardball with his personal ambition too much.
He may very well buy into BFC’s plans for next season and perhaps with another contract enhancement he might be happy not to press for a move.
I think however that he’ll go.

DB9

Quite right, Ollie caused a bit of a stir with Exeter fans by stating that he'd like to go on and play at the top level, he's probably learned to be a bit more diplomatic now.
A fair statement for any young player, Very few actually make it, I would never mind any player saying that, Hopefully it means they'll work hard for us to get that attention from top clubs.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Regardless of what’s going around in the press and the BBC :rolleyes: word from the club is that young Ollie will be staying at BFC. The club have no intention of selling him or any of the current crop. They want to to add more quality to what we already have and push for automatic promotion, which would have happened had we not had such a bad start last season due to bedding in new players. The club do not want a repeat as ( you may have noticed ) we are pretty poor in playoffso_O. That’s not to say he won’t go, but if he did it would have to be eye watering bid.
Good. That'll bump his price up further 😁

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’d imagine the bottom line is that if/ when someone makes a substantial bid for Ollie and then if Brentford were to turn that down it would undermine their model of attracting young and talented players to the club.

If they blocked a transfer it could put off a number of potential future signings if they think they won’t be allowed to progress.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope you haven’t got his mobile number ;). Of the two Benrahma is more likely to go even though the club want to keep this squad together. We’re strongly linked with Ivan Toney so you never know, however with both Ollie and Ivan up front that would be great.
LLB which is the best Bees fans forum to read and keep tabs on what might be going on.

Bittners a Legend

But he'll be a year older before Brentford 'possibly' reach the PL, and that's not a foregone conclusion as there'll be 20 odd other clubs all with the same intention. So the chance to play PL football next season will be a strong incentive, plus you have to take into account the AGENT factor!!

"Go for it Ollie, you know it makes sense".
I agree. I wasn't saying that he isn't going to go, I was saying the fact that Brentford want to keep him and he doesn't seem to be clamouring to leave is good for us because it is likely to maximise what we receive.

Exehausted

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out and how close the press are to the truth. Despite what a lot of people think, most journalists are going on a lot more than an internet rumour. A friend who had a good career in journalism some years ago always reckoned that you'd be amazed how many people want to spill the beans as long as their name is left out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if the agent or someone close to him is feeding details to the press to create interest and drive up Ollies personal terms. I know that Long Lost Bee will say that it's all nonsense, but if there is any truth in it I would expect a deal within a couple of weeks. A new club will want him in their squad as soon as possible.

Long Lost Bee

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out and how close the press are to the truth. Despite what a lot of people think, most journalists are going on a lot more than an internet rumour. A friend who had a good career in journalism some years ago always reckoned that you'd be amazed how many people want to spill the beans as long as their name is left out of it. I wouldn't be surprised if the agent or someone close to him is feeding details to the press to create interest and drive up Ollies personal terms. I know that Long Lost Bee will say that it's all nonsense, but if there is any truth in it I would expect a deal within a couple of weeks. A new club will want him in their squad as soon as possible.
As I mentioned the rumour came from a FB post about 6 weeks ago. Believe me ( or not :) ) it just isn’t correct.

Long Lost Bee

LLB which is the best Bees fans forum to read and keep tabs on what might be going on.
The best one is the Griffin Park Grapevine.org. The gent who runs it ( and pays for it ) posts on there as Banana. He’s very well linked into the club at the highest level, If it ain’t Or is happening believe me he knows and doesn’t codswallop. Obviously not everything gets on there, it’s a question of knowing who’s who and what is not said sometimes. There’s some good stuff on there, and some bad :rolleyes: and sometimes a fight or two:D. There’s discussion there about the £18 million buy out clause and the other ITK posters there is a couple more who all confirm It’s rubbish. Enjoy the read, let me know how you get on.
The other, is Beesotted which is run by Dave Lane and Billy the Bee, he’s the lad who’s been on a Sky recently, they again are very well connected. They also do our podcasts.
ps If you do want to post and you’ll be very welcome, please don’t start by saying your an Exeter fan in peace....... you’ll get slaughtered:LOL::LOL::LOL:

IndoMike

The best one is the Griffin Park Grapevine.org. The gent who runs it ( and pays for it ) posts on there as Banana. He’s very well linked into the club at the highest level, If it ain’t Or is happening believe me he knows and doesn’t ********. Obviously not everything gets on there, it’s a question of knowing who’s who and what is not said sometimes. There’s some good stuff on there, and some bad :rolleyes: and sometimes a fight or two:D. There’s discussion there about the £18 million buy out clause and the other ITK posters there is a couple more who all confirm It’s rubbish. Enjoy the read, let me know how you get on.
The other, is Beesotted which is run by Dave Lane and Billy the Bee, he’s the lad who’s been on a Sky recently, they again are very well connected. They also do our podcasts.
ps If you do want to post and you’ll be very welcome, please don’t start by saying your an Exeter fan in peace....... you’ll get slaughtered:LOL::LOL::LOL:
It seems that Brentford do a lot of research into players and target them well in advance : i.e they don't do knee-jerk signings. If Watkins did leave do you know if Brentford have targeted or indeed already have a suitable replacement?