• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Nigel Atangana Signs

Any news on the "Devon Pogba?" I believe that he was in the squad against PV so think he may be approaching match fitness?

Hopefully, fit and firing on all cylinders he will prove to be the missing link. The catalyst that gets the ball to Ryan Bowman facing goal as opposed to holding it up while a play-maker trundles up to collect it. I rate Nicky Law but would like to think his thoughtful distribution will be nicely complimented by precision incision too.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
IMO yesterday showed (apart from confirming the cheats do prosper in football) how much we need someone to play in front of the defence. I like Collins but he is not a defensive midfielder. A fit Atangana should be one of the first names on the team sheet.
Yep. It looks like it will be a straight choice between Collins and Jake for the midfield role, although Lee Martin could be another option to leave out. All that is assuming that Atangana is as good as we hope.

IndoMike

I think it's time we gave Fisher a couple of run-outs.
I know many are big fans of Ryan and he certainly works hard, but I'd like to know for sure that Bowman is the better option, and we can only know that if Fisher gets some game time. If he is playing in a game but not playing well we can always bring Bowman in. Also, to give Bowman a little break is not a bad thing.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Steady
Yep. It looks like it will be a straight choice between Collins and Jake for the midfield role, although Lee Martin could be another option to leave out. All that is assuming that Atangana is as good as we hope.
Lee Martin has scored four goals in his last five starts so not sure how much more he can do to show he deserves to play. Nigel needs to play for the reserves and wait for his opportunity in the first team. Jake and Archie both seem like machines but they will surely pick up an injury at some point. And I know that MJ is a different type of player but he has also done little wrong this year and deserves more game time as well.

IndoMike

Steady

Lee Martin has scored four goals in his last five starts so not sure how much more he can do to show he deserves to play. Nigel needs to play for the reserves and wait for his opportunity in the first team. Jake and Archie both seem like machines but they will surely pick up an injury at some point. And I know that MJ is a different type of player but he has also done little wrong this year and deserves more game time as well.
I'm not suggesting that Lee Martin should be dropped, SEA. I like his energy and yes, he is a bit of a goal-grabber.
I'm just saying that IF Atangana is the real deal then something has to give in midfield. It would be a pity if Archie was "dropped" , especially since he is becoming a saleable asset (sounds horrible to talk about a player like that, but you know what I mean). Jake at most will be given an occasional break. That leaves Martin and Law.
Nice problem to have though.
This is why I'm confident about this season : a lot of good back-up 👍

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not suggesting that Lee Martin should be dropped, SEA. I like his energy and yes, he is a bit of a goal-grabber.
I'm just saying that IF Atangana is the real deal then something has to give in midfield. It would be a pity if Archie was "dropped" , especially since he is becoming a saleable asset (sounds horrible to talk about a player like that, but you know what I mean). Jake at most will be given an occasional break. That leaves Martin and Law.
Nice problem to have though.
This is why I'm confident about this season : a lot of good back-up 👍
Agree with all that but I'm also slightly concerned we are creating unrealistic expectations for Nigel. I know that we are excited because he potentially offers something different to the other players we have but his career history isn't exactly amazing. As far as I can tell he's never played above League 2 whereas the players he's competing against for a place have all, or in the case of Archie very probably will, played at a much higher level.

As an aside, much as i quite like Jordan Tillson, it does make you wonder why the hell he is still here. He must be three injuries away from the first team and is surely at an age where he needs to be playing regularly and not baby-sitting the kids in the under-23 team.

IndoMike

Agree with all that but I'm also slightly concerned we are creating unrealistic expectations for Nigel. I know that we are excited because he potentially offers something different to the other players we have but his career history isn't exactly amazing. As far as I can tell he's never played above League 2 whereas the players he's competing against for a place have all, or in the case of Archie very probably will, played at a much higher level.

As an aside, much as i quite like Jordan Tillson, it does make you wonder why the hell he is still here. He must be three injuries away from the first team and is surely at an age where he needs to be playing regularly and not baby-sitting the kids in the under-23 team.
Re Atangana : his video is impressive but ...it's only a video. Matt must rate him highly to sign him.up after he has had a pretty serious injury. And he's not a spring chicken. Still, if he's injury free and a good player it's another good option.
Re Tilson : the general perception is that he is a good ball winner but not a good ball user. Passing is a basic requirement and it is a shame that apparently he's not good at it. However, some posters have pointed out that City's winning record is quite good when he plays. It is an odd one. I agree that it's surprising that he hasn't gone out on loan.
I'm still not 100% convinced about Ryan Bowman. It's clear what his role is and I know in Div 2 you can't expect perfection, but I wish he could be a bit more clinical and also be in the right place at the right time. I'll get slaughtered saying it but, I repeat, I'd like to see Fisher given some opportunities.
It's all gone quiet about Nicky Ajose. Starting to forget he's a City player. Did he have an op?

Ash

I think it's time we gave Fisher a couple of run-outs.
I know many are big fans of Ryan and he certainly works hard, but I'd like to know for sure that Bowman is the better option, and we can only know that if Fisher gets some game time. If he is playing in a game but not playing well we can always bring Bowman in. Also, to give Bowman a little break is not a bad thing.
Why is it important that you know for sure Bowman is the better option? As long as Matt knows, by seeing them both in training every day, then the correct selection is being made. It's a long season, Fisher will get chances at some point. If he takes those chances, he'll stay in the team. Ryan is doing the job for now and we're top of the league, doesn't seem like the time for change to me.

Ash

Collins I think will make way.
He's the most likely, although I suspect big Nige will have to wait until our form falters, or we have an injury to one of Collins, Taylor or Law. That being the case, I hope we have to wait a good while before seeing him him starting a league game.

IndoMike

Why is it important that you know for sure Bowman is the better option? As long as Matt knows, by seeing them both in training every day, then the correct selection is being made. It's a long season, Fisher will get chances at some point. If he takes those chances, he'll stay in the team. Ryan is doing the job for now and we're top of the league, doesn't seem like the time for change to me.
Exeweb is a forum where we express our opinions. Tens of thousands of fans discuss team selections, the players they'd like to be in the team etc on forums. It's the whole point of having forums.
Of course none of us is an expert, but we still comment. Personally, although I like Bowman, I'd like to see what Fisher can do, too. Of course, it's up to Matt : I doubt if he gives a to$$ what we think.