• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Next Season......

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Geoff can recommend someone ! :LOL:
Himself, shirley.

Langer

I like it it could be a new angle let’s try and sign players with mental Health problems and try and turn around there fortunes.

simcity

I think if you are going to go throwing grenades about you could at least say where that comes from and what your link is.
I've heard it from 2 different people, one in January & the other more recently. Both have links with people at the training ground and have told me of incoming players prior to them being rumoured or announced. Obviously not going to name the people i've spoken to but i'm confident in my information

ExmouthMart

As far as i know McArdle, Caprice & Page were only offered one year deals last summer. Bowman & Nige both agreed to one year extensions earlier in the season.

I've also been told a number of the squad are unhappy with the man management of Taylor so aren't interested in signing new deals, haven't been given names but would tie in with why Bowman was looking to leave in January.

The out of contract players are Ward, Maxted, Sweeney, McArdle, Parkes, Page, Caprice, J. Taylor, Williams, Fisher & Ajose (plus some of the younger lads)

I think we'll only see 3 of those sign on for next season, who those 3 are i don't know!
I've also been told a number of the squad are unhappy with the man management of Taylor so aren't interested in signing new deals, haven't been given names but would tie in with why Bowman was looking to leave in January.
That would partly explain Aaron Martin last season, Ajose and probably Sweeney and Parkes. Ward leaving on lone made no sense in a season of transition and budget cuts. He seems to just pick up on certain players who are no worse than the rest. Didn’t Tisdale drop Pym for no real reason?! I think Aaron Martin was particularly badly treated. Was he offered a new deal?! There must have been money because we signed McArdle, Page and Caprice! Are they really any better?! And dont wheel out the old chestnut about potential and quality etc. Page and Caprice wouldn’t have been cheap signings.

Red Devon

That would partly explain Aaron Martin last season, Ajose and probably Sweeney and Parkes. Ward leaving on lone made no sense in a season of transition and budget cuts. He seems to just pick up on certain players who are no worse than the rest. Didn’t Tisdale drop Pym for no real reason?! I think Aaron Martin was particularly badly treated. Was he offered a new deal?! There must have been money because we signed McArdle, Page and Caprice! Are they really any better?! And dont wheel out the old chestnut about potential and quality etc. Page and Caprice wouldn’t have been cheap signings.
Ward’s form had dipped considerably whereas Andresson had been a hit during his loan spell it made a lot of sense to me.

ExmouthMart

Ward’s form had dipped considerably whereas Andresson had been a hit during his loan spell it made a lot of sense to me.
But what does that say about Taylor’s judgement?! He bins him halfway through the season. Finances are supposed to be tight etc. No one is doubting Andresson‘s ability but Ward wasn’t that bad. It looks to me like he just wanted shot of him. How many others does he really want shot of?! No wonder we are so inconsistent. I will remind you of what happened before last season’s playoff final. Players told they were leaving before the game. It’s bound to have affected them and their friends in the team. No wonder we were pants and got stuffed.

Alistair20000

Going through our current first team squad I'd keep the following:

Ice Man (reckon there will be interest from league one clubs though if Reading don't want to utilise him)
Ward
Caprice
Stubbs
Page
Sparkes
Hartridge
Taylor
Collins
Randall
Jay
Kite
Key
Dean
Bowman (needs to be used differently though and not be a nailed on starter every week)

I think this gives you a good base to add a number of players to.

Obviously added to this would be the likes of Cox, Lee etc.

I think we need to move on from the likes of Sweeney and Parkes etc.
Quite a long retained list there Chap.

How many newbies to bring in and in what positions ? I appreciate actual names are difficult.

Ignore budget constraints for the purposes of this question. There is an expensive 💩 missing from your list that may not have been flushed away for next season.

ExmouthMart

How many newbies to bring in and in what positions ? I appreciate actual names are difficult.

Ignore budget constraints for the purposes of this question. There is an expensive 💩 missing from your list that may not have been flushed away for next season.
He’s going to haunt Taylor for another season yet.....

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster

We need 2 or 3 new strikers however if Taylor is going to play Jay behind one striker he needs to be very careful in his approach especially if Bowman remains top dog, there is no point having players on the books who don't get a look in as we have had this season.

Two new centre backs to replace Sweeney, Parkes and McArdle.

Two central midfielders, one hard ba$tard and one who can pass the ball.

A right winger who is either quick or can cross the ball, we won't get one who can do both !!

Last edited:

Alistair20000

We need 2 or 3 new strikers however if Taylor is going to play Jay behind one striker he needs to be very careful in his approach especially if Bowman remains top dog, there is no point having players on the books who don't get a look in as we have had this season.

Two new centre backs to replace Sweeney, Parkes and McArdle.

Two central midfielders, one hard ba$tard and one who can pass the ball.

A right winger.
Quite a big shopping list there but it looks what we need.