• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County vs Exeter City Matchday Thread

older-codger

Irrelevant. The Law is based on the possibility of a goal ("opportunity") given specified tests, not the probability. It may be a bad rule but that is the rule.
Rule 12:

"denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)"

I would argue that it was not an obvious opportunity since Maynard didn't even have the ball.

"Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off."

It was outside the penalty area!

The referee, in my opinion did not properly assess the situation and was hasty in brandishing the red card.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gosh , that rule is badly worded 'obvious goal scoring opportunity' -but without reference to degree of probability

If I buy a lottery ticket do I have an 'obvious lottery winning opportunity'?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree. He’s pretty much always done well at centre back because he’s strong and brave. He struggled in recent years at full back because he’s lost what pace he had and his passing was suspect (to be fair to him, often because he was trying to make the difficult pass). I’m delighted with how he’s responded, long may it continue.
He's only 26 - I really hope he hasn't lost too much pace yet!

older-codger

Gosh , that rule is badly worded 'obvious goal scoring opportunity' -but without reference to degree of probability

If I buy a lottery ticket do I have an 'obvious lottery winning opportunity'?
Yep - it don't mean you are going to win but you have a better chance than if you don't buy it

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
FAO TPC

I didn't say that the ball was anywhere near Jokull at the time of the foul, but that the ball was not under Maynard's control and was bouncing towards the goal. Jokull is quick off his line and with the ball actually heading away from Maynard and towards Jokull, I would not have ruled out Jokull getting to the ball first.
No chance of the The Iceman getting to that ball before Maynard.

Stop digging pal.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
To me the position of the ball is the critical factor. There is no way that Maynard had the ball under control and in fact it was bouncing away from him which on that pitch meant there was no guarantee that a) he would have ever had it under control and b) that the way the ball was bouncing Hartridge or Jokull would not have got to it first. It was certainly far from being a goal scoring opportunity
If it is a foul but not a red card (in your opinion) what has Hartridge getting to the ball first got do with it ?

tonykellowfan

I suggest people who have doubts about this watch the highlights again. Maynard was about a yard from where the ball was dropping and Yokull was not even in the picture.

It is a clear red.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I suggest people who have doubts about this watch the highlights again. Maynard was about a yard from where the ball was dropping and Yokull was not even in the picture.

It is a clear red.
Bang on yet people seem quite happy to totally ignore the evidence provided.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
FAO older-codger,

Have you watched the highlights ?

I have just watched them again for the umpteenth time, the ball is literally just in front of Maynard, it is nowhere near our keeper and isn't rolling anywhere near close to him.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Just Sweeney honoured in the so called nonsense of TOTW