• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County v Exeter City - Official Matchday Thread

Pobbop

The highlights: http://www.skysports.com/football/newport-vs-exeter/359485

Not sure what Pate will make of the glovesman's decision to come haring out for our fourth.
Did Watkins actually play that sumptuous ball to Liam before he ran 50 yards to get on the end of it? if so that's a great goal from the lad, Liam may have put in a decent cross, but come on that is ollie's goal.

muppetdodger

I actually feel sorry for the County fans who have to watch that team every week, they deserve a medal.

City played some beautiful football at times on a difficult pitch. The first two goals were brilliant, the build up play and the execution were first class. Watkins will get the plaudits but McAlinden was brilliant. He brings so much pace and movement allied to a lot of determination to chase lost causes and win the ball back high up the pitch.

Pym was very assured in everything he did, absolutely no chance for their goal when for once City switched off at the back. I think it will be a long time before Bobby gets back. All had a good game actually...amazing what some confidence will do (driven by the fact that City are now 6 games unbeaten). Onto the next game on Monday.....hopefully some of the knocks picked up will be shrugged off and they will be ready to go on Monday. Wheeler in particular was limping at the end....didnt look anything too serious.
You are in the main correct, however two things need clarifying, 1) Not everyone was good, every game I watch Lloyd James is terrible, and today was no exception. Apart from one that was deflected to our player he didn't complete one pass today and chased shadows again. What does Tisdale see in him? and 2) Pym was ok, but was very lucky one on one with their striker when he saved it fortuitously with his head having not got to the ball.

Otherwise it was a great afternoon.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Did Watkins actually play that sumptuous ball to Liam before he ran 50 yards to get on the end of it? if so that's a great goal from the lad, Liam may have put in a decent cross, but come on that is ollie's goal.
For the first goal,yes, but for the second and fourth it is other people (James ? and Simpson?)

For me the staggering thing is the ground Ollie makes for all three goals. On each occasion he is (I think) behind the ball when we win it and then makes 50(60,70?) yards to be first on the end of it.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the first goal,yes, but for the second and fourth it is other people (James ? and Simpson?)

For me the staggering thing is the ground Ollie makes for all three goals. On each occasion he is (I think) behind the ball when we win it and then makes 50(60,70?) yards to be first on the end of it.
With the energy, pace and strength of Watkins, MacAlinden and Wheeler playing on a mud-heap it's hardly surprising Reid didn't get a start.

Pobbop

I was talking about the first goal yes, just looking at it from text it seemed all he did was nod it in, but in actuality it was a goal that prime Bryan Robson would have been happy with.

grecian55

How many Grecian in attendance ? Well done to all who went and witnessed a great win .(y)

malcolms

Awaiting your "proxy match report" with great interest Mr m.
(As I also am Pate's excoriating critique of Master Pym for conceding a goal, and the InCREDYble sulks' justification that "Vladimir Westley" is STILL the sort of manager we need)
He texted to say Reid didn't make it off the bench but promised a more detailed response when he gets back. Said the first two goals were very similar.

Colesman Ballz

He texted to say Reid didn't make it off the bench but promised a more detailed response when he gets back. Said the first two goals were very similar.
It didn't take a genius to come up with that ! (facepalm)

Fareham Grecian

Uncanny, I feel like I was there...

In answer to grecian55, 600 Grecians

paperclip

Uncanny, I feel like I was there...

In answer to grecian55, 600 Grecians
Well if you HAD been there then you would have heard the tannoy announcing the away support was 500.