• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New signings in by Tuesday night? Or Thursday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Can I start a new thread then of "New signings in by Saturday?" :)
Haha....you may want to title it, "New signings in by September 1st?" :):)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Haha....you may want to title it, "New signings in by September 1st?" :):)
“To be, or not to be? That is the question—Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And, by opposing, end them?”

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
This isn’t correct, he said certainly by Saturday

“The Grecians host Wycombe on Tuesday, and then Cheltenham Town on Saturday, and when asked when he was hopeful on getting players in, he added: “Certainly before Saturday, hopefully before Tuesday. We are working as hard as we can, but I have said that for a long period of time now.”
I regret to say that I view this newspaper quote as both selective and potentially misleading. My interpretation is the same as Phil Sayers

The first words introducing the topic by MT (at 5.35 in the interview) are the most important.

MT 'hopefully we'll have reinforcements in at some stage....'

That is far and away the most important sentence on this topic

MT then says how much this is needed and Craig asked the question about 'are you hopeful before Saturday?' which leads to the MT quote above. Note that the question was about MT's hopes.The quoted answer must be read in the context of 'hopefully ..at some stage'.

My reading is that MT is saying he is 'certainly hopeful' before Saturday ie optimistic - but he is not guaranteeing signings by Saturday. But much less optimistic about before Tuesday. In context he is saying 'I doubt any signings will happen before Tuesday'.

In support of the interpretation that MT is not guaranteeing signings by Saturday are the facts that a) (as MT knows only too well) he is the not in a position to guarantee signings by a particular date and b) when he first mentions the topic all he can say is signings 'at some stage'.

Max - have a listen to the interview from 5.34 on. Do you think that amounts to a promise/guarantee of signings by Saturday?

(I am concerned that , although signings are very likely between Tuesday and Saturday, if they don't happen then some people will call MT a liar on the basis of the newspaper quote)

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
“To be, or not to be? That is the question—Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And, by opposing, end them?”
With all this unrelenting pressure to make signings, I can imagine MT seeking happiness with a cigar called Hamlet.

Banksy

4A86EC5B-0AAF-4686-8FA3-BA37445EB3C8.jpeg
“To sign or not to sign ? That depends on the money - Whether 'tis nobler on the field to sign on Tuesday and suffer The kicking and niggling fouls of Wycombe Wanderers Or to take Derby’s money and a load of uncertainty and run , And, by opposing, end Exeweb‘s incessant moaning ”
Amended for factuals .

Grecianpasty

Maybe wait until half time this evening to close this thread 😉

Grecian Max

I regret to say that I view this newspaper quote as both selective and potentially misleading. My interpretation is the same as Phil Sayers

The first words introducing the topic by MT (at 5.35 in the interview) are the most important.

MT 'hopefully we'll have reinforcements in at some stage....'

That is far and away the most important sentence on this topic

MT then says how much this is needed and Craig asked the question about 'are you hopeful before Saturday?' which leads to the MT quote above. Note that the question was about MT's hopes.The quoted answer must be read in the context of 'hopefully ..at some stage'.

My reading is that MT is saying he is 'certainly hopeful' before Saturday ie optimistic - but he is not guaranteeing signings by Saturday. But much less optimistic about before Tuesday. In context he is saying 'I doubt any signings will happen before Tuesday'.

In support of the interpretation that MT is not guaranteeing signings by Saturday are the facts that a) (as MT knows only too well) he is the not in a position to guarantee signings by a particular date and b) when he first mentions the topic all he can say is signings 'at some stage'.

Max - have a listen to the interview from 5.34 on. Do you think that amounts to a promise/guarantee of signings by Saturday?

(I am concerned that , although signings are very likely between Tuesday and Saturday, if they don't happen then some people will call MT a liar on the basis of the newspaper quote)
Dont think it’s as complicated as you make out, he clearly says certainly.

Grecian Max

Reality is he said we were close to having signings about 10 times now over the course of 3 months so I’m not holding him to it 😂😂

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dont think it’s as complicated as you make out, he clearly says certainly.
Probably briefed by Boris Johnson's old PA !
UTC

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is only one event that can ever be considered a certainty and as sure as God made little green apples it is most definitely not that MT or indeed any other football manager can guarantee being able to get any player that he has set his sights on to sign on the dotted line.

Status
Not open for further replies.