• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Hahaha.. Good spot.. damn autocorrect..

Busy.. ebay has gone mental over lockdown.. :D

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Lez , I picked up what I thought was a proper kit of a Spitfire recently at Lidls for a few quid for my daughter to build … 10 minutes later she walked out of her bedroom saying it was finished ! Didn't realise it was a snap tight Lego effect but where it snapped together was the camo colouring along the wings/ fuselage !
Quite heavy for what it was tbh and I reckon with a bit of superglue and light sanding to get rid of any join marks you wouldn't know it from a proper kit.

Didn't think about you when I was doing the Glider beforehand I could have ordered some decals.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Lez , I picked up what I thought was a proper kit of a Spitfire recently at Lidls for a few quid for my daughter to build … 10 minutes later she walked out of her bedroom saying it was finished ! Didn't realise it was a snap tight Lego effect but where it snapped together was the camo colouring along the wings/ fuselage !
Quite heavy for what it was tbh and I reckon with a bit of superglue and light sanding to get rid of any join marks you wouldn't know it from a proper kit.

Didn't think about you when I was doing the Glider beforehand I could have ordered some decals.
The quick builds are fantastic.. I did a video of the new TT coupe they released.. I buy them for friends as they look great..

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
My Airfix member pack arrived today.. so I can now put the flying hours in for a new model..

GJW

When I went to Tank Fest at Bovington a few years ago there were a lot of 1/6 model tanks being shown by enthusiasts. A very expensive hobby, £3-£4K per tank kit. Does the engine sounds as well. A different world. Great to watch but I wouldn’t have the money or patience to do this.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
When I went to Tank Fest at Bovington a few years ago there were a lot of 1/6 model tanks being shown by enthusiasts. A very expensive hobby, £3-£4K per tank kit. Does the engine sounds as well. A different world. Great to watch but I wouldn’t have the money or patience to do this.
That is class.. im always amazed at the detail and effort put into scale models by modellers.. I saw a submarine once at a show and it dived to the bottom of this tank, it had a camera and a Diesel engine in it that ran all the electrics.. it was was fantastic.. the bloke spent thousands on it.. mind you that Concorde they built a few years back cost 100 grand to get in the air before it crashed.. outstanding

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I see the other model shop in Exeter is closing https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/end-line-exeters-last-surviving-4313609#:~:text=Exeter's last surviving model railway shop has reached,August 1 unless a buyer can be found.

Although the majority was trains it was good for plastic bits and some paints

• Sad
Reactions: DB9

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Sadly that Grant Imarhara died

Adam Savage on his tested YT channel was taking about his loss..

some fantastic stories of him, especially in developing the baby Yoda in the latest Star Wars universe series..

A huge loss IN the model making world.. some of his models were amazing

GJW

The Model Shop at Youings in Barnstaple is still going strong. I used to go here as a kid to get Airfix models.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Model Shop at Youings in Barnstaple is still going strong. I used to go here as a kid to get Airfix models.
That looks an incredible shop, with an eclectic range of products. Seemingly you cannot only buy your models there , but a pipe and tobacco for smoking while you build them, fine belgian chocolates to keep "her indoors" happy, sweets for the kids, and even fancy dress if you fancy a party !

What really blows me away is the photos of the friendly staff who will be serving you, the likes of Helen Mirren, Julie Waters, Surrane Jones etc ! I guess Covid 19 has hit the acting profession really hard too ! Don't forget your autograph books on your next visit folks ! :)

Reactions: GJW