• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Max Smallcombe

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Currently playing for Wales Under 17s.

HT score 1-1. If you're on Twitter follow events on https://twitter.com/FAWales

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Apparently you can watch a live stream here (if you have better wi-fi than I do currently)

[video=youtube;7fvL5fLsdKQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fvL5fLsdKQ[/video]m

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Cheers Hants! Great way to while away much of a wet Tuesday afternoon - the streaming worked very well for me.

Finished 1-1. Smallcombe, who if I heard right was wearing number 4, played as the left sided of two holding midfielders. Tidy player not out of place at this level (but not MOTM either)

How old is he? Still eligible for U16s?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Great way to while away much of a wet Tuesday afternoon
One of the great benefits of Exeweb, a good way to waste time!

Its interesting about Max Smallcombe in that he has gone sort of under the radar with everybody raving about Ethan Ampadu and Jack Sparkes but he has now played into double figures of international football without much fanfare in comparison. A few years ago if we had a young player who was playing and starting most matches for Wales at various youth levels we would be talking about him non stop as the 'Next Big Thing' which just goes to show what a good job the ECFC Academy are doing at the moment when this is the first dedicated thread he has! Also unlike the other 2 lads I mentioned, at the moment he is the only one who has actually signed a 'scholarship' with ECFC so potentially he is the most likely out of the 3 to actually make a 1st team appreance for us. From the article below it would appear he is an intelligent lad which will only help him develop his game going forward and these types of players often out shine more naturally talented lads they come through with as they have the intelligence to keep listening to coachs and working on their game all the way through their careers. Frank Lampard being a great example in that he was not as naturally gifted as Joe Cole but he had great intelligence (IQ of 150) and worked non stop on his game and maximising ever drop of coaching he had to maximise his potential. He ending up with a brilliant career playing for Top 4 clubs into his late 30's with Joe Cole also having a good career but definately not as good as his natural ability should have given him and now finds himself at 34 playing in League 1 for Coventry City. Whilst I'm not comparing Max Smallcombe to Frank Lampard it is a good example of where quite often the obvious 'star' youth player gets overtaken in their late teens early twenties by a player who was slightly in their shadows coming through. Anyway good luck Max and keep the hard work up!

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Bodmin-s-Max-Smallcombe-starts-football/story-27709007-detail/story.html

http://www.uefa.com/under17/season=2016/teams/player=250089801/index.html

Last edited:

Daved89

Smallcombe now has 13 caps for Wales (u16/u17s).

geoffwp

Its interesting about Max Smallcombe in that he has gone sort of under the radar with everybody raving about Ethan Ampadu and Jack Sparkes but he has now played into double figures of international football without much fanfare in comparison. A few years ago if we had a young player who was playing and starting most matches for Wales at various youth levels we would be talking about him non stop as the 'Next Big Thing' which just goes to show what a good job the ECFC Academy are doing at the moment when this is the first dedicated thread he has! Also unlike the other 2 lads I mentioned, at the moment he is the only one who has actually signed a 'scholarship' with ECFC so potentially he is the most likely out of the 3 to actually make a 1st team appreance for us. From the article below it would appear he is an intelligent lad which will only help him develop his game going forward and these types of players often out shine more naturally talented lads they come through with as they have the intelligence to keep listening to coachs and working on their game all the way through their careers. Frank Lampard being a great example in that he was not as naturally gifted as Joe Cole but he had great intelligence (IQ of 150) and worked non stop on his game and maximising ever drop of coaching he had to maximise his potential. He ending up with a brilliant career playing for Top 4 clubs into his late 30's with Joe Cole also having a good career but definately not as good as his natural ability should have given him and now finds himself at 34 playing in League 1 for Coventry City. Whilst I'm not comparing Max Smallcombe to Frank Lampard it is a good example of where quite often the obvious 'star' youth player gets overtaken in their late teens early twenties by a player who was slightly in their shadows coming through. Anyway good luck Max and keep the hard work up!

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Bodmin-s-Max-Smallcombe-starts-football/story-27709007-detail/story.html

http://www.uefa.com/under17/season=2016/teams/player=250089801/index.html
I nearly missed this. Interesting take on the role of intelligence in furthering a career in sport, and with 7x A* and 2x A GCSE results Max is very definitely a bright young lad. I'm absolutely certain any good football coach would agree with your underlying assertion about intelligence helping to maximise potential.

Last edited:

Daved89

andrew p long

Great news - called up for an international squad , when in the age group below.

I was beginning to miss these international call up announcements!

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Are we protected if another club wanted to take Smallcombe off our hands? Would they have to make a normal tf offer, or would he still come under the eppp?