• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - sacked by Rotherham & employed by Bristol Rovers

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't see them in training every day or get the coach reports or get a chance to use my qualified eye to make those choices do I.

Why is what would you do? Who would you choose? Always the default argument on here. Us fans are not paid to make these decisions, it is a forum to discuss ffs.
You complained that we only currently play 1 academy player and that we should be playing more. You suggested we play academy players in place of Rankine or Aicheson. I simply asked who these academy players were that you would play?

Our academy players can't currently beat other academy teams so they'd have no chance against experienced L1 first teams. We tried our academy prospects earlier in the season and lost 9 nil to a second string Reading. Do you really think playing our academy players instead of Aicheson and Rankine is a good idea?

JGrecian23

You complained that we only currently play 1 academy player and that we should be playing more. You suggested we play academy players in place of Rankine or Aicheson. I simply asked who these academy players were that you would play?

Our academy players can't currently beat other academy teams so they'd have no chance against experienced L1 first teams. We tried our academy prospects earlier in the season and lost 9 nil to a second string Reading. Do you really think playing our academy players instead of Aicheson and Rankine is a good idea?
Oh ffs why does everyone keep on with this "our academy players lost 9-0". I'm not saying we should play 11 under 18's. I'm merely suggesting having the likes of Richardson, Borges et al mixed in with the senior players.

It's really not that complicated. Try and see something in between the 2 extremes will you.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Oh ffs why does everyone keep on with this "our academy players lost 9-0". I'm not saying we should play 11 under 18's. I'm merely suggesting having the likes of Richardson, Borges et al mixed in with the senior players.

It's really not that complicated. Try and see something in between the 2 extremes will you.
Borges isn't an academy player. He's a first team squad member.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster

The manager and coaching staff plus the academy coaches have (Rightly or Wrongly) decided that the current crop of youngsters bar maybe one or two? are not ready for L1 football, They have to know best, They work with them all day. We as fans have been spoilt over the last few years with a extraordinary number of academy lads coming through, That cycle looks to have dried up in the immediate. I guess you could conspire to say GC is not interested in the youth set up but there's no evidence for that and is the fabric of our model. This cycle might change in a few years, who knows? But atm we have to accept the lads aren't ready or up to L1 standard.

JGrecian23

The manager and coaching staff plus the academy coaches have (Rightly or Wrongly) decided that the current crop of youngsters bar maybe one or two? are not ready for L1 football, They have to know best, They work with them all day. We as fans have been spoilt over the last few years with a extraordinary number of academy lads coming through, That cycle looks to have dried up in the immediate. I guess you could conspire to say GC is not interested in the youth set up but there's no evidence for that and is the fabric of our model. This cycle might change in a few years, who knows? But atm we have to accept the lads aren't ready or up to L1 standard.
Boots Jay and Sparkes out. Ships Borges, Lee and Cox out so he doesn't have to train and improve them. Drops Hartridge and plays Kite anywhere apart from his natural position.

Enough evidence for me that GC can't be arsed and rather than develop and work with the promising young players, he will keep bringing in talentless crocks who he has worked with before.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did we not give a record number contracts?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

I get this, and you are probably right, but I don't think he was suggesting we drop the entire team and play all youth players.

I suppose the devils advocate response is "if the club is going to keep the manager, accept that relegation is likely, and we are losing something - nil every game with almost no attempts on goal, what's lost by bringing the players out on loan back when we can and giving one or two of them every game some "minutes" to develop them?"

DB9

Boots Jay and Sparkes out. Ships Borges, Lee and Cox out so he doesn't have to train and improve them. Drops Hartridge and plays Kite anywhere apart from his natural position.

Enough evidence for me that GC can't be arsed and rather than develop and work with the promising young players, he will keep bringing in talentless crocks who he has worked with before.
We are not in a position not to do the best for promising players, This is the whole clubs ethos, GC knows this and said as much but also said the academy production line was coming to an end. If you honestly think that Tagg, The two boards would let a manager run the academy into the ground you'd be barmy, It is our main stream of income and he'd been told that when he was interviewed. Accept that the conveyor belt of talent for L1 standard is not there at this point. Lee I think will go, like other young talent before they have an impact in the 1st team, I hate when we don't get to see the best of them, Luckily we were privileged to see Jay Stanno here last season on loan.

DB9

Did we not give a record number contracts?
We might have done, Not sure on the length of those contracts, A lot could have been for a Yr and could see some released if GC is still here and they don't fit into his plans. Also the contracted ones are for the future and not ready for L1 yet, I'm only guessing here.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

If that's 'evidence' for you then let's hope you don't need to employ a Barrister anytime soon then. The facts don't quite add up when it was Matt Taylor who told MJ he wasn't part of his plans and Borges, Lee and Cox would have gone out on loan even if you were the Manager. Can you try another conspiracy theory or at least come up with something that fits the narrative?