• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor - 2 Years As ECFC Manager...

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm confident that the Club and Trust boards and the manager and his team have a firm grip on what's best for all parties and will continue to act professionally.

That doesn't mean MT's position should always be secure regardless of performance; or that if he wanted to take up a new challenge we'd stand in his way. Personally I entertained doubts over his management recently but he does seem to have steadied the ship and regardless of what happens this weekend (unless there is some abject capitulation) I see little likelihood of hasty reaction by either side. Equally, if he gets us promoted I'm sure he will have offers of advancement elsewhere, as is usual, but that's for the future.

rifraf

tik toc tik toc tik toc tik toc tic tok .............. enough PLEASE!

Smithyno6

Fed up with this. Every game is the same. We got outplayed by Barrow when we needed a win and we couldn’t even get that. Matt’s signings, tactics and clearly motivation aren’t good enough. Get rid, it’s been a torturous three seasons when it’s mattered.

eurogrecian

Disappointing end to the season, but it's the inconsistency and inability to been teams who came to defend that killed us.

Those who say every game has been rubbish have forgotten the 2 x 4-0s, 2 x 4-1s, the 5-0 and the 6-1. I think it's been quite some time since we had a set of results like that.

We've brought through some super young players this season. Let us hope we can keep most of them.

Matt Taylor is a decent young manager and fits our ethos. He should be left exactly where he is for 2021-22.

JayPob94

I adore our club. Everything about it is unique, it is different. I am never one to really want a manager to be sacked, I didn't want Tisdale sacked... I wanted things to change, but didn't feel he needed to go.

Every time I have watched us this season, the games feel rushed. Tactically we cannot, CANNOT, play football. If we were able to play football, we would have been able to beat Barrow twice (who are one of the worst footballing teams I've ever seen). He has had 3 years to make his mark on the team, and is there progression? I don't think so. The youngsters yes... but any managers remit for this club, the number one priority will be bleeding through the academy. That is the only thing he has done well, very well infact.

Matt Taylor was one of the best defenders we have ever had, but even today, defensively we are all over the place!! What hope do we have, if our solid as a rock captain ex centre half can't, after 3 years, organise our defence?!

The football is awful to watch. Today, we changed formation midway through the match, take off our best player on the day, bringing on a lad who is the worst player I think ive ever seen play for us!! Tactically, especially in the last 1/4 of the season, whenever we NEED a goal, all tactics go out the window and we throw 4 strikers on and go route 1. It is PAINFUL to watch. There is no plan.

I remember the away game to Barrow, and the commentators mentioning the players were throwing fingers at the manager because they didn't know what formation they were supposed to be playing.

His signings have been OK, but to sign Ajose as our highest earner, for him to sit on his backside, whilst he continues to play Ben Seymour is beyond me. Stubbs?? We are throwing 2500-4000£ a week down the drain on 2 players the manager signed. From a business point of view.... how is that acceptable? How can the money men in charge of releasing funds to the manager for transfer be confident he wont throw more of it down the drain?

I have never been his biggest fan, and I have just had enough. I want him out. If you asked Taylor at the start of the season that all we needed to do is beat Barrow twice to get into the play offs he would have said "easy". Well it wasn't, and we couldn't even beat them once.

I don't really care who we bring in instead. Someone with a plan and who guarantees to play football. If TUFC don't go up, I would tickle them for Gary Johnson. Kevin Nicholson did a good job at TUFC under horrific circumstances too. Mark Cooper?? He will play good football, but I hear his signings can be more subjective than Matt Taylors. Pete Wild, albeit non-league is working miracles with Halifax, and playing fantastic football in the meantime. A difficult summer ahead, but have no doubts that still a portion of our fan base will be happy with where we are. Baffles me.

Last edited:

jimbo-gould

Not sure Taylor is the person I want in charge spending our bigger budget next season. He has not done well enough with the players this year, who in my eyes should have had enough quality for the play-offs. At the start of the season I was happy for it to be a transitional one. Then we saw that the youngsters were already good enough, if not better than a lot of players in this league. Randall and Key will be on a few teams shopping lists I’m sure

Tactics seem to go out of the window if we are losing, with us just subbing on attackers for defenders and hoping they figure it out.

Man management doesn’t seem like it is great, given what has happened with Ajose, along with rumours that other players are unhappy as well.

Disappointing.

ecfc2000

Too lazy to read this thread, but has it been mentioned somewhere the length of MTs contract?

AlphaDevil2

Matt Taylor was one of the best defenders we have ever had, but even today, defensively we are all over the place!! What hope do we have, if our solid as a rock captain ex centre half can't, after 3 years, organise our defence?!
Considering only 19 teams in the entire EFL pyramid before today had a tighter defence I would argue that we are not all over the shop defensively.

paperclip

Considering only 19 teams in the entire EFL pyramid before today had a tighter defence I would argue that we are not all over the shop defensively.
Also, only Cambridge and Oldham scored more goals than us, so it's clearly not true that "'the football is awful to watch".

I'm sure some of our 'fans' would be happier supporting a Big Six club....or the Chiefs

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure Taylor is the person I want in charge spending our bigger budget next season. He has not done well enough with the players this year, who in my eyes should have had enough quality for the play-offs. At the start of the season I was happy for it to be a transitional one. Then we saw that the youngsters were already good enough, if not better than a lot of players in this league. Randall and Key will be on a few teams shopping lists I’m sure

Tactics seem to go out of the window if we are losing, with us just subbing on attackers for defenders and hoping they figure it out.

Man management doesn’t seem like it is great, given what has happened with Ajose, along with rumours that other players are unhappy as well.

Disappointing.
Agree that the season has been disappointing. However, I don't think we have undeachieved. I believe this season has been PARR given the players and depth that we have had available. The manager may could have done better, but he also could have done worse. There was a real chance of a relegation fight this season, given the difficulties we had to deal with, but we have consistently been fighting at the top end of the season. Some perspective on this season would not go amiss.