• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Gill is off...

Boston Red

To be honest, i'd be pretty surpised if he signed for us for less than 1500 p/w. That doesn't seem excessive for a top-earner in L1. I'd also bet that Stewart, Russell and Robbo are on a grand plus p/w. Whether we can afford to, or want to is a different matter I guess, and if Wycombe are offering 3k, then good luck to him and them.

journeyman

I simply can't see where Wycombe will get £3k a week for him

grecianred

I think people can sometimes lose sight of the fact footballers are real people too. They have bills to pay, families to look after and ambition (well the ones worth bothering with). I think city are at the moment a more ambitious club than wycombe, however with regs to the first two evidently playing for city isn't so clear cut.

Regardless of whether or not Taylor is a decent manager what person in their right mind would turn down doubling of salary (or perhaps tripling I don't know!!!) for a similar role elsewhere. I'm no matt gill but in the slightly less glamorous role of town planner I'd not have to think long about such an offer and I wouldn't say I was a mercenary by any stretch...

One final point, if gill really 'only' wants 1.5k I say give him it. We've been fortunate to assemble a decent squad on the cheap but maintaining it at a higher level has obvious financial implications. Oh and in short wycombe ain't no league one big boys I am sure, if the likes of them will fork out 3k a week I'm darned sure the likes of orient, colchester and the supposed teams on a similar level to us will too.

There I feel better for saying that.

finetime

I would seriously question Gills sanity if he turned down an extra £1500 A WEEK to play the same standard of football when he is likely to have a wife, kids and mortgage.

Saying that I seriously question the figures. There's no way in the world Gill is worth £3k a week.

older-codger

I have no idea what any of the players are paid, but the main consideration surely has to be the effect overall on the wage budget. If Gilly is paid an amount that is out of sync with others, they would all be justified in seeking more. It can also have an effect on the amounts that can be offered to new signings.

I am sure that Tis will pay as much as he can afford whilst being fair to the other players in the squad. If it isn't enough to satisfy Gilly then that's the way of things. The whole thing is a balance and what the relative value of the player is to the team. As I say, I have no idea what amounts are paid to whom, but for me, Matt Taylor for example is more critical to the team than Gilly and he should not be paid considerably less than Gilly.

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
I am sure that Tis will pay as much as he can afford whilst being fair to the other players in the squad. If it isn't enough to satisfy Gilly then that's the way of things.
Exactly. As someone once said, simples. I am sure that there is a take it or leave it offer on the table. Gilly will take it if he can't find anything that suits him better in the meantime.

That is indeed the way of things.

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
£1,500 a week is pretty much the norm for L1 - quite low in fact for a key player.

Grecian joe.

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
£1,500 a week is pretty much the norm for L1 - quite low in fact for a key player.
Yep. Tend to agree. I think Gilly and his missus really really want to stay... but money talks. Like Deano said on the show, football is ruthless.

Codge,I don't think Matty is more critical to the team, but that's about opinions..... Gill never gets injured. Suspended, yes, but not injured...

ECFC JP

I simply can't see where Wycombe will get £3k a week for him
I was finding it quite to believe as well, anyway why would he want to leave such a great club. :) Where he's a week in week out player and has played some of the best football in his life IMO.
As a club we are going through some of the best times we have had in a good 6/7 years, so I see no insentive for him to leave apart form a higher wage. I hope he is not one of those players that would leave just for money.