• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Gill is off...

4ORDY

I'm not doubting that we will get a decent player in Alex Russell, 4ORDY. They're just not the same sort of player and we need to replace Gilly like for like IMHO.
Not saying he's gonna be a like for like replacement, only that he will come into his own.

Well, what can I say? Deano and Gilly inside 24 hours - bloody nightmare, if you ask me. These 'big' clubs coming and taking our best players. Violated, that's what I feel like. An own goal for the south-west marketing departments of Bernard Matthews' and Coleman's mustard. Norwich - I suddenly hate 'em!

jambo

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not doubting that we will get a decent player in Alex Russell, 4ORDY. They're just not the same sort of player and we need to replace Gilly like for like IMHO.
I'm not so sure, Ian. I absolutely agree that it'll be hard to replace Gilly, & that Russell lacks certain of Gill's qualities.

But I suspect Tis will have been anticipating Gilly's departure for some time, & will have already spent some time thinking about both replacements &/or alternative systems.

For instance - I could see a midfield with Russell or Stewart or Saunders playing a slightly defensive, 'ticking-over' role; alongside Panther or Bertie playing the more physical, box-to-box role; alongside Harley, whose responsibility would be largely creative play-maker. The key to the potential success of such a scenario would be the extent to which a full summer working closely with Russell, Saunders & Panther could lead to them making a bigger impact in & for the Team...

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm lead to believe for £500 a week more Gilly would have stayed. Pity.
You need to change your leads mate.