• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Massive Week

Grecian_in_Plymouth

Lincoln game will give us a decent benchmark for the season. They looked a decent side last season and they have momentum

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
OK then, name a player we have had in recent years who is / was great defensively and could pass the ball very well.

I think you are the idiot who doesn't know what he is typing, remember I am quoting your words.
I’m not suggesting he needs to be a perfect combination of Kante and Iniesta, I’m saying he needs to be able to stop giving the ball away every time he wins it and retains possession ie the ball doesn’t go out of play. His passing is poor and it isn’t too much to expect to have a player who can tackle and pass simply to a teammate. You want an example? There’s one in the team now - Jake Taylor. But you could also have the Doc if you want, and that’s just off the top of my head.

Tillson is a decent player - his ball winning is good, his ball retention isn’t - that’s why he’s a bit part player for us and isn’t (and has never been) a regular with us or anyone else. If his ball retention improves he could be a very good player.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m not suggesting he needs to be a perfect combination of Kante and Iniesta, I’m saying he needs to be able to stop giving the ball away every time he wins it and retains possession ie the ball doesn’t go out of play. His passing is poor and it isn’t too much to expect to have a player who can tackle and pass simply to a teammate. You want an example? There’s one in the team now - Jake Taylor. But you could also have the Doc if you want, and that’s just off the top of my head.

Tillson is a decent player - his ball winning is good, his ball retention isn’t - that’s why he’s a bit part player for us and isn’t (and has never been) a regular with us or anyone else. If his ball retention improves he could be a very good player.
I wouldn't put Jake Taylor in that mould, I'd say he is an all action / high energy box to box midfielder.

Last edited:

manc grecian

Bakinson for Newport last week was the sort of player we need. A definite upgrade on Tillson. Always wanted the ball of the back 4 and athletic enough to get round the pitch and compete physically.

People want us to stop playing hoofball yet want us to play a cm who isn't comfortable in possession of the ball. Jake Taylor can do Tillsons job and is miles better on the ball.

Red Devon

I wouldn't put Jake Taylor in that mould, I'd say he is an all action / high energy box to box midfielder.
Not at the moment he is not....sweeping and tidying up in front of the back four seems to be his role this season of which he is performing rather well at certainty did it well yesterday again.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the record I don't think playing Tillson is ideal however the balance of our midfield hasn't been right at times this season, ideally we would have a better defensive midfielder however if we play Jake Taylor in there I think we are losing out on the things he does best, Taylor is best when he is getting around the pitch and getting stuck in at both ends, you don't want him to just be limited to playing the defensive midfielder role.

Perhaps a Taylor - Law pairing is worth a try with Law sitting in, trying to dictate the game and Taylor providing the energy and athleticism.

STURTZ

Massive week isn't go too well so far, a win against Lincoln could turn it all around for us, but can we do it? We're going to have to keep some pretty powerful strikers at bay tomorrow, our defence has proved pretty resilient so far I think Tilson may be required to break up approach play. Another plus for us has been the form of Holmes and Stockley resuming his scoring abilities, we need a return to form/fitness for Law who can dominate the midfield and link up midfield and attack without aimless booting up the pitch. We want the running football we were promised, hope we can win and show ourself to be true promotion contenders. Up the City!

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Massive week isn't go too well so far, a win against Lincoln could turn it all around for us, but can we do it? We're going to have to keep some pretty powerful strikers at bay tomorrow, our defence has proved pretty resilient so far I think Tilson may be required to break up approach play. Another plus for us has been the form of Holmes and Stockley resuming his scoring abilities, we need a return to form/fitness for Law who can dominate the midfield and link up midfield and attack without aimless booting up the pitch. We want the running football we were promised, hope we can win and show ourself to be true promotion contenders. Up the City!
As you imply STURTZ, this here magic week has been a damp squib thus far. The players have to put the failures behind them and out of their mind. Hopefully Pyms indiscretions were only rare errors and he'll be back to his shop-window best. I dont think Stockley has really picked up from where he left off last season, and Boateng the same. Todays game is an early season 6 pointer if ever there was one. A win could put us top on goal difference, but a loss could dump us down to about 7th depending on other results. UTC!

Stelios

Before the week started someone said they'd be happy with 3 points by the end of it. Think we'd all settle for that now. (boffin)

STURTZ

Be interesting to see if martin can handle Rhead as well as JMT could, one of the funniest sights last season was a dejected and angry Rhead leaving the pitch with that huge bandage around his head.

Last edited: