• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Luke McCormick

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am a father, yes. One could argue all one likes about whether the sentence handed to him was long enough, but the fact is he has done the time served down to him, shown remorse for his actions and should be allowed to continue with his life. The memory of what he did will stay with him forever.

If he was a builder, should he be barred from returning to building?
Difference with a builder or any other job out of the spotlight, he wouldn't be in spotlight everytime he left a job. That is my problem. He shouldn't be allowed to be a professional sportsman earning a decent wage and having a comfortable life.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Why is being a professional sportsman any different to being a builder?

What is the point of prison? Firstly it is to punish. Now, I have no qualms about people querying the length of his sentence and whether it has served the "punishment" aspect of his time in prison. The second point is to rehabilitate, i.e. to prepare the miscreant to be able to rehabilitate into society in such a way as to prevent them from becoming dependent on the state and/or going back into prison. How best to do this? By allowing them (within reason - obviously a paedo can't be a teacher for example) to integrate back into society by doing what they are best at.

Like it or not, the career best suited to McCormick is being a goalkeeper. Much as a builder might be best off building things, or I might be best off looking at a load of numbers and making analysis out of them.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
And, to add, ECFC has employed several players who have either been convicted of Drunk Driving or have received Drunk Driving convictions while at City. Is it not hypocritical for us to applaud Duffy, Fleetwood, Chris Holloway and others while declaring we wouldn't have McCormick set foot inside our club?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
And, to add, ECFC has employed several players who have either been convicted of Drunk Driving or have received Drunk Driving convictions while at City. Is it not hypocritical for us to applaud Duffy, Fleetwood, Chris Holloway and others while declaring we wouldn't have McCormick set foot inside our club?
To say nothing of Mr. Noble...

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Those people didn't kill anyone, they shouldn't have done it and hopefully lesson learned, but had it been the same scenario with Duffy (didn't like Fleets anyway) then I would have felt exactly the same.

If Joe Bloggs gets done for drink driving which resulted in fatalities, then Joe Bloggs, once released would have a seriously hard time trying to get a job. So why should a footballer or any other sportsman walk back in to a job with such ease.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
But Joe Bloggs is likely to get a job, usually in the industry he was in previously. Why *shouldn't* a sportsman walk back into a job?

And I'm sorry, but the whole "they didn't kill anyone" argument is a load of nonsense. One could argue they were "lucky" by not killing anyone whereas McCormick was "unlucky" in that he killed someone. Both committed the same crime (one that thousands get away with every day), one had more unfortunate consequences than the other. It's not like McCormick set out to kill anyone when he made the stupid decision to drive pi55ed.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would he? How many employers do you know would take on someone after they had been in prison for 4 years? Not many, I can tell you.

Have discussed this person to death on every time he's available. Don't want him at ECFC, I'd be surprised if ECFC let him anywhere near the club.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jason is spot on and we don't need a keeper. The end.

Nik Nak

Those people didn't kill anyone, they shouldn't have done it and hopefully lesson learned, but had it been the same scenario with Duffy (didn't like Fleets anyway) then I would have felt exactly the same.

If Joe Bloggs gets done for drink driving which resulted in fatalities, then Joe Bloggs, once released would have a seriously hard time trying to get a job. So why should a footballer or any other sportsman walk back in to a job with such ease.
Never before has so much CRAP been spilt from a single mouth

NN

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Never before has so much CRAP been spilt from a single mouth

NN
She's just warming up :)