• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some Students who are too lazy to use recycling facilities & dump glass bottles in public waste bins.When they have filled them up just leave them by the bin.
All that stuff goes straight to landfill if recycling facilitys are not used.
I’ve picked up 3 bags of bottles & put them in the correct place.Why can’t they do that ?
I think the problem is some who are doing it are from country’s that have no concept of recycling & the environment...A bit of education is read,which seems ironic.
Even more ironic us they will all be marching with Greta on the next protest, or staging a sit in on Westminster bridge. But as you say, can't use a bin.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Even more ironic us they will all be marching with Greta on the next protest, or staging a sit in on Westminster bridge. But as you say, can't use a bin.
No. That won't be the case. Students are not a single amorphous group.

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
.....I think the problem is some who are doing it are from country’s that have no concept of recycling & the environment...A bit of education is read,which seems ironic.
Believe foreign students are not known to consume excess
alcohol, what makes you think they are the ones dumping bags of bottles, Olds ?

Oldsmobile-88

Believe foreign students are not known to consume excess
alcohol, what makes you think they are the ones dumping bags of bottles, Olds ?
Seen it first hand Elgy...Of course not saying the home grown are not as guilty.

angelic upstart

FWIW when I lived in the Netherlands 20 years ago, they were streets ahead of the UK today with the environmental and recycling policies. That was 20 years ago, I expect things have improved their not got worse.

Oldsmobile-88

FWIW when I lived in the Netherlands 20 years ago, they were streets ahead of the UK today with the environmental and recycling policies. That was 20 years ago, I expect things have improved their not got worse.
No doubt got a bit of catching up to do.
In Germany for many years glass bottles & jars are deposited in containers,weighed & monitory valve is given on a card.
You do not see glass bottles in bins or littering the pavement in Deutschland.

There is a big push in this country to move away from fossil fuel for transport which is more ambitious than most countries in the world.This should be in tandem with other environmental issues(waste)& recycling.

It does not suit some businesses to recycle unfortunately.Its all about the bottom line.

The industry I started work in was ahead of the game at one stage with reusing,recycling parts,appliances & fittings decades ago.With the change of business model in the mid 90s there was no incentive to do that.The opposite happened,various sections of the industry had the incentive of £s to renew things that did not need replacing or that could have been refurbished.

angelic upstart

You're right re bottom line. A bloke I work with is really into the whole recycling/climate change thing. A different colleague one day got into a fairly heated (for an office) debate about it (I think it started off about the bin collections going to fortnightly) and climate change man said "so even if I'm talking nonsense, what's the harm in doing it anyway?" It was something he couldn't answer and neither could I. It certainly changed my opinion on it.

Alistair20000

On the matter of litter, the bins around Exeter have been flowing over this weekend. Very bad around the Quay in particular. :mad:

Oldsmobile-88

Disposable batteries...Stone age in the 2020s.

I used to get thought a couple of hundred a year of HP 2 in my gas seeker(disposed as controlled waste of course) A large investment was made a decade ago to issue seekers that were rechargeable(at £1200 each)
Battery purchase in the SW region dropped by 95%

Oldsmobile-88

Phone scammers...A elderly lady I run errands for is forever getting phone calls supposedly from banks,Amazon or Netflix despite not subscribing to the latter two.
She is told to ignore them but it always seems to put a seed of doubt into her head.
The usual nonsense about someone withdrawals happening.It makes her uneasy & want to visit the bank to check things which in the current climate is not easy.

Are the scumbags ever caught ?