• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Leyton Orient v Exeter City Matchday thread 14/08/2021 3pm KO

Matt Russell

Just had a fun time reading every post in this thread to remind me who the real sages are on Exeweb.
Gosh, yes. You tempted me to do the same, though I couldn't carry on past #97!

Trapdoor

To be fair, we were defensively rather shaky at the start of the season. Shipping Ray out and getting Stubbs fit had a MASSIVE impact on our defensive quality.

Leyton Orient had just destroyed us, somehow the score was only 2-0, but it could easily have been 5 or 6... Even in December we were hovering outside of the playoff spots and looked well off the pace of the auto spots. The second half of the season we look like a different team.

Also Atangana was playing CM at this point. He's still not up to standard even now when the rest of the team are firing on all cylinders.

Last edited:

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just had a fun time reading every post in this thread to remind me who the real sages are on Exeweb.
Excellent. I was hoping someone would go and find this, but I'm not sure I can cope with 48 pages of it....

arthur

All together now:

"We've got super Matty Taylor
He knows exactly what we need...."
😂 😂 :cool:

Redacted said:
But MT has massively shot himself in the foot, stating it is the biggest budget we had in a long time and he will bring in 3/4 Marquee signings + The losing of our best player Randall - This is seriously our weakest team in a long time.
He clearly missed out on these signings and with the signings he has made he is clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel of what is left and available.
I will give him this season, but over his time at the club it appears he is taking us slowly backwards.
Redacted said:
I think it a legitimate question to ask as to whether we thanks to our healthy bank balance have moved on from being a club that promotes an untried and untested manager from within to be in charge of our recruitment (and all that dosh) and have in fact reached the happy position where we can employ a more experienced manager, maybe with better contacts and more coaching gravitas who may be better able to spend our enhanced budget to get those elusive marquee signings we now obviously need.
Redacted said:
I get this impression a lot. Comes across terribly as a man manager. What gets me... Is as a player, there was nothing worse than your manager shouting at you on the sidelines. Taylor does that for 90 minutes. It must really get on all the players nerves and I'd be amazed if many of the first team players really like him.
redacted said:
I think there’s a lot of truth in your first paragraph. Taylor comes across as a little humourless, cold fish even, and seems unable to accept or respond to challenge. This coupled with his willingness to criticise players rather than accept culpability himself does not endear him to anybody. These traits may be fine were he a manager with a track record of success but not if you’re a rookie. It does all add up to senior players wanting out, talented youngsters leaving at the first opportunity without making much of a first team contribution and failure to attract the talent needed to challenge for promotion.
redacted said:
I actually am worried that MT is one of the reasons we are not attracting quality players to the club. He was a great defender in his day but that doesn't make him a good manager.

His man management and public commentary has been so poor over the past few seasons.

Contrast against Tisdale who was often cited by players as one of the reasons they joined/stayed at ECFC. You may not have liked Tisdale but he was a good man manager of nothing else.

Alistair20000

Excellent. I was hoping someone would go and find this, but I'm not sure I can cope with 48 pages of it....
I stopped after posts 34 97 and 103

Rosencrantz

Second league game of the season and no one was to know it would be well into November before we lost in the league again. Obviously it was a very poor performance which was jumped on by many as it reinforced their worst fears about summer's recruitment.

You can only chuckle about it now 😉

Pete Martin (CTID)

The problem is that most of us really know precious little about being a football manager and would never be any good in the job.

A bit like being certain that you could do a far better job than the prime minister......

Oh, hang on! :ROFLMAO:

Rosencrantz

There does seem some from earlier in the thread that are MIA nowadays. Wonder how it went for that Bradford fan 😂

Grecian Max

Seymour is really good at being completely anonymous

Ship him out and get someone capable in
Spot on tbf

Grecian Max

One of the worst performances in years.

Failed recruitment policy has meant not only very few game changers but very few half decent players for any depth.

Formation and tactics is a shambles.

I wanted MT gone after last seasons capitulation and I'm not far off thinking this now, we are miles off.
In fairness we’d not finished our recruitment 😂