• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League One - 2023/24

sign of the chimes

It's getting interesting at the bottom in terms of the last two relegation spots. Burton and Cambridge are in rotten form (the latter haven't won in six, i think - and have shipped ten goals this week). I still fancy Cheltenham to overtake at least one of them. While Fleetwood have probably left themselves too much to do they're unbeaten in five.

Good result for you today. I felt last week that you could be pretty much safe by this evening, and I think you probably are. I'm really pleased.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's getting interesting at the bottom in terms of the last two relegation spots. Burton and Cambridge are in rotten form (the latter haven't won in six, i think - and have shipped ten goals this week). I still fancy Cheltenham to overtake at least one of them. While Fleetwood have probably left themselves too much to do they're unbeaten in five.

Good result for you today. I felt last week that you could be pretty much safe by this evening, and I think you probably are. I'm really pleased.
Yours to throw away now?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster

Will be more confident with another 3 points but looks like, after beating the Posh, Pompey are up automatically.
PUP & UTC

sign of the chimes

Yours to throw away now?
Will be more confident with another 3 points but looks like, after beating the Posh, Pompey are up automatically.
PUP & UTC
A really big result today, and you're right that it's in our hands, but...

We've still got Bolton, Barnsley and Derby to play in the last seven who are all very good sides: as are Posh, who will count themselves unlucky not to have got something out of this afternoon. We've also got lots of players out injured - have been a bit cursed this season, and lucky that some of those who I think were earmarked as squad players have really stepped up.

That said, I'm allowing myself to enjoy this afternoon's result and performance and have just opened a not bad bottle of red to celebrate.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The difference between the league table on New Year's Day and now is wild. I hadn't realised quite how bad the form of Carlisle and Port Vale had been but, even so, to put 20+ points on both of them is still pretty remarkable.

Attachments

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
A really big result today, and you're right that it's in our hands, but...

We've still got Bolton, Barnsley and Derby to play in the last seven who are all very good sides: as are Posh, who will count themselves unlucky not to have got something out of this afternoon. We've also got lots of players out injured - have been a bit cursed this season, and lucky that some of those who I think were earmarked as squad players have really stepped up.

That said, I'm allowing myself to enjoy this afternoon's result and performance and have just opened a not bad bottle of red to celebrate.
Of the five of you, based on little more than how they played against us, I'd say Bolton are the best of you. They're capable of playing with Peterborough's energy and entertainment levels but with Derby's experience, pragmatism and physicality thrown into the mix. Then it's a toss up between Posh and Derby depending on what floats your boat, yourselves (you struggled to put us away your place and were bloody awful down here, especially when you add in how poor our firm had been previously) and then Barnsley.

JGrecian23

Of the five of you, based on little more than how they played against us, I'd say Bolton are the best of you. They're capable of playing with Peterborough's energy and entertainment levels but with Derby's experience, pragmatism and physicality thrown into the mix. Then it's a toss up between Posh and Derby depending on what floats your boat, yourselves (you struggled to put us away your place and were bloody awful down here, especially when you add in how poor our firm had been previously) and then Barnsley.
Stop the press! Who needs league tables when we have the Grecian Harris metric for how a season went.

Sorry Pompey 5 pointe clear doesn't get you promoted because Ian says Barnsely are better than you so they are going up instead.

Who is top of the Championship Ian? Hull played a good game the other day, I'd give it to them 😀

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stop the press! Who needs league tables when we have the Grecian Harris metric for how a season went.

Sorry Pompey 5 pointe clear doesn't get you promoted because Ian says Barnsely are better than you so they are going up instead.

Who is top of the Championship Ian? Hull played a good game the other day, I'd give it to them 😀
You really are a bright one aren't you. Completely missed the prefix and then can't even get the sides in the right order. Given that Pompey have three of the other sides to play against, the relevance is there. If they should lose all three, Pompey won't be five points clear if indeed they are still top at all after that set of potential results.

sign of the chimes

Yeah, we weren't very good against you; particularly in the game at SJP. We had a rough spell between Christmas and early February, where we lost four times in about six weeks. To date our only four league defeats, which included a couple of 4-0 capitualations at home.

Outside of that we've been pretty efficient - played some nice football, but not been the most prolific - so have rarely put anyone to sword.

The keys thing for me, so far, has been the mentality of the group. We've had a ridiculous number of medium to long term injuries this season but have found ways to adapt.

I'm certainly not getting ahead of myself, but I think that's why we're top at this stage, not 5th or 6th.

JGrecian23

You really are a bright one aren't you. Completely missed the prefix and then can't even get the sides in the right order. Given that Pompey have three of the other sides to play against, the relevance is there. If they should lose all three, Pompey won't be five points clear if indeed they are still top at all after that set of potential results.
Thank you for clarifying that if a team loses games against teams below them they won't be the same amount of points ahead of them.

You can tell you know your stuff Ian. Very lucky to be able to learn from you.