• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
The 39 Steps 1935. starring Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It’s very loosely based on the book by John Buchan.Dads’ Army cast member John Laurie has a small part as a crofter. Very entertaining old black and white film with a lot packed into its eighty odd minute.

Banksy

The Rainmaker. 1997 American legal drama written and directed by Francis Ford Coppola and based on John Grisham's 1995 novel of the same name. Starring a very youthful Matt Damon, Claire Danes, Jon Voight, Mickey Rourke, Danny DeVito and Danny Glover. Saw it originally just after it first came out.Enjoyed it again this time round . Eight affidavits out of ten acquittals.

Mr Jinx

The Shining (1980) for the umpteenth time but for the first time on the big screen at the Picture House on Sunday evening.

This was the American version with nearly half an hour of additional screen time compared with the usual European versions and including a particularly gruesome scene near the end where Wendy sees skeletons in one of the rooms.

Even better to watch on the big screen with the stunning scenery standing out more than on the small screen and the music sounding even more sinister with a longer build up as Jack drives to the hotel for the job interview.

A great evening.
If you haven't watched it already, I recommend Room 237, which is like a sequence of conspiracy theories behind the film. Extremely watchable.

Spoonz Red E

If you haven't watched it already, I recommend Room 237, which is like a sequence of conspiracy theories behind the film. Extremely watchable.
Available to watch here for free:

iscalad

The 39 Steps 1935. starring Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It’s very loosely based on the book by John Buchan.Dads’ Army cast member John Laurie has a small part as a crofter. Very entertaining old black and white film with a lot packed into its eighty odd minute.
Madeleine Carroll😍😍

Banksy

Madeleine Carroll😍😍
Yes , I think we agree on that one.She seemed a very nice lady too , abandoning as she did her acting career to join the Red Cross. As an aside , Donat had a sad end.He suffered from chronic asthma ( when you think of the fags they smoked even in the films the mind boggles) , and died in his early fifties from a massive brain tumour. Only made twenty films because of the asthma.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The 39 Steps 1935. starring Robert Donat and Madeleine Carroll. Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It’s very loosely based on the book by John Buchan.
A 1959 remake starring Kenneth More copied several of Hitchcock's inventions, for some reason.

Banksy

A 1959 remake starring Kenneth More copied several of Hitchcock's inventions, for some reason.
Have to say I prefer the 1978 one with Robert Powell , which returns to Buchan's original notion of the 39 steps being an actual staircase ( Big Ben in this case.)

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have to say I prefer the 1978 one with Robert Powell , which returns to Buchan's original notion of the 39 steps being an actual staircase ( Big Ben in this case.)
At least this version was set in the correct era, even though they saw fit to include that daft Big Ben sequence! :)

Alistair20000

The Mr Memory character irritated me.

#miserableoldgit