• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watched the remake of The Producers ( 2005). Not a patch on the original Mel Brooks 1967 version in my humble opinion , but funny enough in parts. Springtime for Hitler and Germany ……..

DB9

Watched the remake of The Producers ( 2005). Not a patch on the original Mel Brooks 1967 version in my humble opinion , but funny enough in parts. Springtime for Hitler and Germany ……..
"I just want peace, A piece of Poland, A piece of Russia" etc, The original was way funnier. I did see a stage version of it which was pretty good.

Banksy

Forsaken 2015.Western starring Donald Sutherland and Kiefer Sutherland.
Gunfighter John Clayton returns to his hometown in hopes of repairing his relationship with his minister father to find his mother dead and former girlfriend ( Demi Moore) married.He rides in without his guns having given up that way of life but finds the town is in the hands of the baddies.Inevitably he has to strap on his guns again and face them in the final showdown. Not at all bad , but then I like westerns. 7/10

Antony Moxey

Fukushima 50. The story of the earthquake and tsunami that hit the Japanese nuclear power plant. Two major problems with the film make it totally unwatchable: first, the subtitles and second, the acting.

I don’t have a problem with subtitles, but when they’re white against the normal film background they are completely unreadable, especially when, as it’s a true story, the film makers had put on-screen captions (in Japanese characters, obviously) to say who was who and where the particular locations were within the power and plant, and the two became overwritten.

The acting though. I know Japanese is quite a hard language to listen to as it always seems to sound quite aggressive, but when the actors compound it by not ever speaking, or even shouting, but literally screaming every single line of dialogue at each it becomes unbearable.

Chernobyl it ain’t. One diesel generator out of ten flooded plant rooms.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Dune (1984). Popped out to the cinema to see this David Lynch offering ahead of the new version being released on 21 October. This is no simple intergalactic war, even with the Lynch effect. It's quite possible I fell asleep because it wasn't making sense 😃

6/10. Hoping the new version will make sense, will help being split in to two films to tell the story. I've never read the book, bit sure it helps.

DB9

Dune (1984). Popped out to the cinema to see this David Lynch offering ahead of the new version being released on 21 October. This is no simple intergalactic war, even with the Lynch effect. It's quite possible I fell asleep because it wasn't making sense 😃

6/10. Hoping the new version will make sense, will help being split in to two films to tell the story. I've never read the book, bit sure it helps.
Tried to watch this years ago Hants, Could not make heads nor tails of it, Gave up with it but IIRC it's a long film.

Banksy

Tried to watch this years ago Hants, Could not make heads nor tails of it, Gave up with it but IIRC it's a long film.
Never watched it through myself either.All I can remember are the sandworms. Or was that the book because I never finished that either.Don’t know why because I must have read hundreds and hundreds of sci-fi books in my younger days.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Re-watched Spectre (2015) ahead of our visit to Leicester Square Imax on Thursday to see No Time To Die. Not the best of the Bond films but plenty entertaining in itself.

I see I gave it 8/10 the first time I saw it. Watching at the cinema always makes a film better! Well mostly :)

Mr Jinx

The best Dune was the one that never made it to the big screen (Jodorowksy's).

The 1984 version was quite pleasing on the eye at the time as I recall, but it hasn't aged well. If you read up on it, it was actually panned by critics back then and you can understand why. It makes a sprawling book even more sprawling.

The 2021 version will obviously have improved special effects and so shouldn't suffer the same. And of course, it's the brilliant Villeneuve at the helm.

DB9

The best Dune was the one that never made it to the big screen (Jodorowksy's).

The 1984 version was quite pleasing on the eye at the time as I recall, but it hasn't aged well. If you read up on it, it was actually panned by critics back then and you can understand why. It makes a sprawling book even more sprawling.

The 2021 version will obviously have improved special effects and so shouldn't suffer the same. And of course, it's the brilliant Villeneuve at the helm.
I'll wait until I see reviews on here before I watch the new version, Couldn't be as bad as the 80's one.