• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Surprised they're showing it, Normally a film that is close to a current news subject are postponed
Maybe its being shown on purpose to get through to some of the Covidiots who think they are immune and only believe something from Hollywood !

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Their Finest (2017) 1940 ‘s London. With the nation bowed down by war, the British ministry turns to propaganda films to boost morale at home. Realizing their films could use a woman's touch, the ministry hires a woman (Gemma Arterton) as a scriptwriter in charge of writing the female parts .She is gradually recognised at being good at all parts of the job and she sets out to make an epic feature film based on the Dunkirk rescue starring a gloriously vain, former matinee idol played by Bill Nighy. Those prone to tears should be prepared for a sad ending.
Well made and acted production . 9/10

Banksy

Surprised they're showing it, Normally a film that is close to a current news subject are postponed
Which is why I’ve shoved my box set of Survivors (70’s ) to the bottom of the pile.

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Vera Ralston wasn't considered to have much talent, but Republic Studios boss, Herbert Yates, was in love with her!
No great beauty compared to the classic leading ladies of that era Mr G. As to her acting ability, it was sufficient enough when called upon to look dewy-eyed at Big John when he wasn't joshing around with Bigger Ollie. 😉

DB9

Cromwell 1970, Story of Thomas Cromell during the English Civil War with Richard Harris and Alec Guiness, Forgot what a good film this was, Lots of people in it from TV shows of the 70's, Was on BBC4 last night, Never normally stay up that late but since no work I'm not too tired. 8/10

Oldsmobile-88

Threads(1984) TV Film for BBC

Documentary-style account of a nuclear holocaust and its effect on Sheffield,after a NATO base 20 miles away was nuked after war broke out between USA & Soviet Union.
Showing the eventual long-term effects of nuclear war on civilisation.

Not a cheery watch in these difficult times,but a apt reminder of the threat that the world lived under in the not too distant past.A reminder things could be worse after watching that again.

9/10...Loved the promo photo of the film at the time.
23B161BB-5298-43D7-B014-4DABFD03F52C.png

DB9

Threads(1984) TV Film for BBC

Documentary-style account of a nuclear holocaust and its effect on Sheffield,after a NATO base 20 miles away was nuked after war broke out between USA & Soviet Union.
Showing the eventual long-term effects of nuclear war on civilisation.

Not a cheery watch in these difficult times,but a apt reminder of the threat that the world lived under in the not too distant past.A reminder things could be worse after watching that again.

9/10...Loved the promo photo of the film at the time.
View attachment 1858
I remember watching this at the time and never felt so scared, It was such a depressing film but you had to watch it. I have never watched it since the 80's, Just one of those programmes i give a wide berth to

Mr Jinx

Parasite

The Oscar winning South Korean suspense thriller. It really was edge of the seat stuff at times. I wasn't sure how I'd get on with subtitles but it really didn't matter. Really enjoyed it and well worth a watch.

8/10

Now to the question as to whether I'd personally give it Best Picture. I've now seen the following that were nominated:

Jojo Rabbit
Once upon a Time in Hollywood
Joker
Parasite

Of those, I think I'd give best picture to Joker, but 1917 runs it close. Parasite, I think like Moonlight before it, ticked more of the diversity boxes and therefore got the nod. I really do hope they stop all that nonsense and take them at face value and on merit. Now on to the ones I haven't seen yet:

Ford vs Ferrari
Marriage Story
The Irishman
Little Women

Oldsmobile-88

I remember watching this at the time and never felt so scared, It was such a depressing film but you had to watch it. I have never watched it since the 80's, Just one of those programmes i give a wide berth to
Rarely shown,I suppose after 1990,the ending of the Cold War & collapse of the Soviet Union it was out of vogue.The new bogey men were in the Middle East.

I was having a sort out & found it on a VHS tape.I still have a combined Video/DVD player so gave it a whirl last night...It’s pretty grim,gritty & harrowing in places.I doubt a TV producer would go much on it these days unfortunately.It’s very much of its time.

The BBC did a similar documentary film in the 1960s The War Game.It was never broadcasted.
I saw it when there was a limited release at Cinemas around 1982.Not a main feature,but a special showing at The Odeon( it was on with Lord of the Flies.Not a bad double bill !)

DB9

Rarely shown,I suppose after 1990,the ending of the Cold War & collapse of the Soviet Union it was out of vogue.The new bogey men were in the Middle East.

I was having a sort out & found it on a VHS tape.I still have a combined Video/DVD player so gave it a whirl last night...It’s pretty grim,gritty & harrowing in places.I doubt a TV producer would go much on it these days unfortunately.It’s very much of its time.

The BBC did a similar documentary film in the 1960s The War Game.It was never broadcasted.
I saw it when there was a limited release at Cinemas around 1982.Not a main feature,but a special showing at The Odeon( it was on with Lord of the Flies.Not a bad double bill !)
The War Game, Exactly in that same mode, Also being in B/W made it more gritty