• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Richard Jewell. Just back from seeing this film. The guy found the bomb at the Atlanta Olympics, helping to reduce the number of casualties. However, he turns from hero to villain when he was charged with being the media. What follows was trial by media, and a poor investigation by the FBI. Well acted, well directed by Clint Eastwood it took a while to get going, but once it did get going it was a really good story. 7/10.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
1917. Been eagerly waiting for this film to come out at the cinema. Just back from this excellent film, good strong story line if very singular, the use of the single shot to drive the film forward really added to the drama. The story of two men sent to find another battalion (2nd Devons) 8 miles away to stop them going off to battle and in to a German trap. A surprising shot twist adding to the drama. 10/10. Go see, you won't regret it!
Seeing this film on Friday.

In passing can I suggest that if anyone is in the Somme area of France please do make a stop at the Mansell Copse War Grave Cemetery, read those sad but beautiful words on the stone memorial and leave a message in the visitors book.

This link tells you about it but a visit is far more evocative.

Banksy

What a touching and thought provoking link. A sad sad war whose consequences ultimately led to the Second WW. Fought with old ideas but modern weapons. Four of my nan’s brothers went to war back then , only one returned . One of them was just sixteen.
I intend seeing this film as soon as I’m able , sounds excellent.

Oldsmobile-88

The Highwaymen(2019)
A couple of former Texas Rangers are brought out of retirement to track down Bonnie & Clyde.
A different perspective than the usual Bonnie & Clyde films & a lot of artistic license used.
Reasonably interesting.

6/10

arthur

I agree with Hants and look forward to Al's review

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Highwaymen(2019)
A couple of former Texas Rangers are brought out of retirement to track down Bonnie & Clyde.
A different perspective than the usual Bonnie & Clyde films & a lot of artistic license used.
Reasonably interesting.

6/10
Just watched it. Good entertainment.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
1917. Been eagerly waiting for this film to come out at the cinema. Just back from this excellent film, good strong story line if very singular, the use of the single shot to drive the film forward really added to the drama. The story of two men sent to find another battalion (2nd Devons) 8 miles away to stop them going off to battle and in to a German trap. A surprising shot twist adding to the drama. 10/10. Go see, you won't regret it!
I haven't seen this film as yet so I'm wondering if the 2nd Devons were part of the 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division which fought throughout WW1 & 2 and comprised of units from Devon, Cornwall, Dorset, somerset, Wilts and Hampshire. Known to the Germans as the "Yellow Devils" (presumably they lob custard pies at the Hun), this division was disbanded at the end of WW1 only to reform and serve with distinction throughout WW2. Montgomery claimed it was best division.

arthur

I haven't seen this film as yet so I'm wondering if the 2nd Devons were part of the 43rd (Wessex) Infantry Division which fought throughout WW1 & 2 and comprised of units from Devon, Cornwall, Dorset, somerset, Wilts and Hampshire. Known to the Germans as the "Yellow Devils" (presumably they lob custard pies at the Hun), this division was disbanded at the end of WW1 only to reform and serve with distinction throughout WW2. Montgomery claimed it was best division.
Needless to say, none of the 2nd Devons have Devonshire accents:(

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Anyone who watches the new 1917 film and gets interested or is already interested in the Great War wouldn't go far wrong in contacting these guys who run battlefield tours out there http://www.battlefieldtours.co.uk/index.htm a good bunch of people who really know their stuff.
Me , my sister and nephew went out there and they took time out to locate and then drive the 3 of us to our great uncle's resting place in a tiny little churchyard well off the normal bigger cemeteries where we paid our respects to him and the other men who were part of a 3 man gun crew who stayed behind to the last round so others could retreat.
Ian Alexander also plays a mean set of bagpipes when we were stood at the rim of the Lochnagar crater site.

Alistair20000

Anyone who watches the new 1917 film and gets interested or is already interested in the Great War wouldn't go far wrong in contacting these guys who run battlefield tours out there http://www.battlefieldtours.co.uk/index.htm a good bunch of people who really know their stuff.
Me , my sister and nephew went out there and they took time out to locate and then drive the 3 of us to our great uncle's resting place in a tiny little churchyard well off the normal bigger cemeteries where we paid our respects to him and the other men who were part of a 3 man gun crew who stayed behind to the last round so others could retreat.
Ian Alexander also plays a mean set of bagpipes when we were stood at the rim of the Lochnagar crater site.
Good call there ramone. (y)

Have seen their vehicles around the Somme area and can confirm from others that they know how to conduct these tours. One of their vehicles was at the Lochnager crater site when we made a visit there. (We bought a memorial plaque there for my wife's great grandfather who was killed on the Somme in 1916.)