• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Joel Randall (to Peterborough)

robchave

How about this scenario. The club IS in a better financial position than it has been for ages and has made serious offers to quality players that, for various reasons, have not been accepted. However, we have managed to land a couple of decent players, some young players with potential and some reasonable squad players. You decide which is which.
At the same time, we have known that JR was almost certain to leave, and played hard-ball to ensure that we got the best possible price. With the season about to start, we are now in a position to make serious offers to quality players who are yet to find a club, including some at higher level clubs who are beginning to realise that they need to move to secure their future. We were not able to make offers for those players until either they realised they needed to move on, or we knew exactly how much we'd be getting for Randall, as transfer fees could be involved. With a month still to go in the transfer window, we could still be well placed to attract a couple of players of large tent quality.

Last edited:

Memphis09

That wasn’t really aimed at you, more the people who are talking about going into the club and asking for a refund on their season ticket. Happy for anyone to ask questions, as long as they’re also willing to listen to answers 😉
I will always support city but am concern with lack of ambition at the moment and the lack of quality signings
Nombe looks class Brown looks good just need two or three more o give us all confidence for the new season

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Unforeseen yes, but we shouldn't be in a situation where we are scrabbling around last minute to find someone. If MT doesn't think his current back ups to Archie are good enough, then the question is why haven't we been looking all summer?
Is it not entirely conceivable that MT might think the likes of Harry Kite are perfectly acceptable back-ups for Archie but not perhaps at quite the level yet where he wants to build the team around them for the first however many weeks / months of the season?

Of course, it would be great if we could replace like with like but someone of comparable ability and experience to Archie is unlikely to be satisfied with a place on the bench at Exeter. It's like expecting Liverpool to have a second VVD waiting in the wings.

How about this scenario. The club IS in a better financial position than it has been for ages and has made serious offers to quality players that, for various reasons, have not been accepted. However, we have managed to land a couple of decent players, some young players with potential and some reasonable squad players. You decide which is which.
At the same time, we have known that JR was almost certain to leave, and played hard-ball to ensure that we got the best possible price. With the season about to start, we are now in a position to make serious offers to quality players who are yet to find a club, including some at higher level clubs who are beginning to realise that they need to move to secure their future. We were not able to make offers for those players until either they realised they needed to move on, or we knew exactly how much we'd be getting for Randall, as transfer fees could be involved. With a month still to go in the transfer window, we could be well placed to attract a couple of players of large tent quality.
I really like the sound of this…although I won’t hold my breathe about the signings as sensible as your post is.

Unforeseen yes, but we shouldn't be in a situation where we are scrabbling around last minute to find someone. If MT doesn't think his current back ups to Archie are good enough, then the question is why haven't we been looking all summer?
Why has he signed some of them on? E.g If he doesn’t rate Kite why is he here? How much developing does one need?…he’s early twenties now be around for years!

StudentGrecian

Is it not entirely conceivable that MT might think the likes of Harry Kite are perfectly acceptable back-ups for Archie but not perhaps at quite the level yet where he wants to build the team around them for the first however many weeks / months of the season?

Of course, it would be great if we could replace like with like but someone of comparable ability and experience to Archie is unlikely to be satisfied with a place on the bench at Exeter.
Then we don't need to sign someone like Clements who will give up his place back to Archie and push Kite further back down the pecking order. Just give the game time to Kite imo. Save the extra wages to pick up any game changers if they become available.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think we all thought we were going to improve the squad from what the manager said at the end of last season
Couple of decent signings there but a couple I feel are desperation
I was feeling optimistic but not so sure now
We will judge after Saturday
Looking mid table now I think
Hope I am wrong
So you are going to judge our whole season after our first match. Wow.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Then we don't need to sign someone like Clements who will give up his place back to Archie and push Kite further back down the pecking order. Just give the game time to Kite imo. Save the extra wages to pick up any game changers if they become available.
And it's entirely conceivable that's what we'll end up doing. But if Matt had an opportunity to run the rule over Clements it would have been foolhardy not to do so. What's to lose?!

So you are going to judge our whole season after our first match. Wow.
Yep agreed. I’ve learnt not to do that over the years…wait til xmas time when we run out of steam 😂

ECFC89

My favourite people on here are the ones who get outraged for not knowing the official fee. Why on Earth do you care that much ??? ‘We own our football club blah blah blah’ even a season ticket and a monthly membership doesn’t entitle you to know the finer details of our club. No one outlays the exact costs of their finances for competitive reasons. The same reasons everyone has slagged Matt Taylor off for his pre season comments of ‘we’ve got money to splash’ , which have hugely backfired. It’s just stupid.