• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jimmy Oates

Langer

What a great example of an excellent attitude by the chairman "If he can get involved in football full time we wish him all the best"

Last edited:

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
But is he any good?

J-Han

But is he any good?
Very similar to Pierce Sweeney in terms of playing style, but maybe too similar. Done nothing wrong in the friendlies but not really stood out at all either. I'd be very surprised if MT followed it up - wouldn't surprise me if this was one of many RB's he wanted to look at, or is at least investigating.

benjisheps

Oates will again be spending this upcoming week on trial and will play in the games on Tuesday and Thursday. A decision will be made by the end of the week. What's in his favor is he can play RB and CB so adds good value for money in being able to cover two positions.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very similar to Pierce Sweeney in terms of playing style, but maybe too similar. Done nothing wrong in the friendlies but not really stood out at all either. I'd be very surprised if MT followed it up - wouldn't surprise me if this was one of many RB's he wanted to look at, or is at least investigating.
We need RB cover more than any other position, so if Oates is decent L2 standard and there is no-one else on the horizon I'd say we should sign him. We can afford it! I very much doubt we'll get Wilson back, he's too good and the season's experience with us will have prepared him for their squad or a loan to L1 or better.

J-Han

Oates will again be spending this upcoming week on trial and will play in the games on Tuesday and Thursday. A decision will be made by the end of the week. What's in his favor is he can play RB and CB so adds good value for money in being able to cover two positions.
Sweeney can already do that, though. I think if Matt's going to sign another RB, he's going to be look at the position with what we're lacking. Considering we don't have Kane Wilson for this season who was a very different type of RB (overlaps and is probably more of a wing-back) - I imagine MT will look for someone like that. It's the same on the left; Woody is more capable of pushing forward a bit and putting in crosses from deep like Sweeney, where as Moxey prefers to get really far forward, overlap and get to the byline. Currently from RB, we don't have that. We've only got half of those options. I see Oates as more of a Sweeney/Woodman type at RB.

I don't know, I could of course be wrong. Maybe RB's are thin on the ground and Oates will do a job, but I just don't think he'll be top of MT's targets for a RB.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Are these utility type players what we need though... I know Tisdale was very fond of them but isn’t it better to have a player that is very good in one position rather than someone who’s OK in two or three different positions.

J-Han

We need RB cover more than any other position, so if Oates is decent L2 standard and there is no-one else on the horizon I'd say we should sign him. We can afford it! I very much doubt we'll get Wilson back, he's too good and the season's experience with us will have prepared him for their squad or a loan to L1 or better.
Agreed, for sure. I think if Oates is there, capable and there isn't much else available then he'd plug a hole as a back-up to Sweeney. But as I mentioned in the comment I've posted above, I think he'll want someone that offers an overlap that's more like Wilson. More of a wing-back type player.

Yeah, we definitely won't be getting Wilson back. I wouldn't be surprised if he is in match-day squads for WBA, or at the very least, as you said, in a L1 squad next season.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
What’s slightly odd is that MT said last week we will sign a RB on loan but he’s trialling Oates and has played him at right back...?

Trouble is we don’t really know how good he is as he’s hardly been tested. Hope he will get a tougher test vs Bath.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wasn't in the Hereford team that played on Saturday presumably will be having another game tonight, be it 30 or 60 mins