• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jeremy Corbyn

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
They voted him in because the other candidates were hopeless grey people who also have no chance of winning anything, but at least he is principled (even if you don't agree with a lot of them).

DB9

They voted him in because the other candidates were hopeless grey people who also have no chance of winning anything, but at least he is principled (even if you don't agree with a lot of them).
Exactly as above

Mr Jinx

The problem is with Labour (and particularly its leadership election process with its £3 entryists), is that even though the vast majority of the MPs don't want him as leader, they're stuck with him (for now). This would be fine if all the £3 entryists had a seat in Westminster and could back him in important votes, but the fact of the matter is that they don't.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The campaign was particularly turgid, but Ms Balls was a candidate the Conservatives feared.

I tend to agree, but regrettably he'll be shouting his 'principles' at an empty room before too long.

Like it or not, frontline politics in the UK is about image and spin and Corbyn was always going to be thrown to the wolves before he'd even begun. Well-meaning activists who think he'll take us to a new golden utopia (see Syriza in Greece for how 'principles' work when cold hard reality sets in) are deluding themselves - the MPs who now see their seats dropping like stones in the inevitable 2020 meltdown know the score.

StroudGrecian

Like it or not, frontline politics in the UK is about image and spin and Corbyn was always going to be thrown to the wolves before he'd even begun.
This is true, particularly as he was elected with a mandate to do things differently, to try to move frontline politics away from image and spin. It was inevitable that those who thrive (and perhaps can only thrive) with image and spin would continually attempt to ridicule and disempower him, primarily though the 'media' that he rightly sees as largely responsible for the current state of UK politics.

The current 'debate' within Labour isn't about resolve in dealing with Daesh, anyone who believes that is a fool, it's about the most effective way to deal with them, and whether the blanket bombing of an entire region of Iraq/Syria will significantly contribute to negating Daesh without sending huge numbers of troops in too. I don't know the answer to that, and if I'm not convinced, I'm certainly not for bombing the **** out of Syria in hope rather than expectation. That smacks of ill-thought-out revenge to me.

Corbyn doesn't seem to do himself favours though in how he deals with his shadow cabinet, perhaps he is too ready to offer his personal opinion while 'debate' is nominally ongoing. Then again, don't believe everything you read in the papers.

GrecianWonder

Then again, don't believe everything you read in the papers.
I think this is the biggest factor in the publics perceptions of Corbyn. He won with 59% of the vote, which was the highest ever for a leadership contest. No amount of 'entryists' could force a win of that magnitude.
The 'moderates' are peddling this view over and over that he is unelectable but this is surely just because they disagree with him. They were equally unelectable as the last general election shows.

I'm sure Corbyn will hear from enough of the Labour party this weekend over their views on Syria and will take that into account when it comes to Labour's stance.

Oldsmobile-88

This is true, particularly as he was elected with a mandate to do things differently, to try to move frontline politics away from image and spin. It was inevitable that those who thrive (and perhaps can only thrive) with image and spin would continually attempt to ridicule and disempower him, primarily though the 'media' that he rightly sees as largely responsible for the current state of UK politics.

The current 'debate' within Labour isn't about resolve in dealing with Daesh, anyone who believes that is a fool, it's about the most effective way to deal with them, and whether the blanket bombing of an entire region of Iraq/Syria will significantly contribute to negating Daesh without sending huge numbers of troops in too. I don't know the answer to that, and if I'm not convinced, I'm certainly not for bombing the **** out of Syria in hope rather than expectation. That smacks of ill-thought-out revenge to me.

Corbyn doesn't seem to do himself favours though in how he deals with his shadow cabinet, perhaps he is too ready to offer his personal opinion while 'debate' is nominally ongoing. Then again, don't believe everything you read in the papers.
Top post...

This is why I got annoyed a few weeks back when posters were putting daft innuendo & heresay on this thread & derailing informative reasoned posts

tavyred

I thought Jezza made a good case for abstaining from the group effort to bomb Syria on The Marr Show this morning.
However it'll be lost in the "he's a pinko pacifist looney tune" rhetoric that surrounds him at the moment. I wonder if Harold Wilson got all this stick when he kept us out of Vietnam?

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
You may need to click for a larger image ...

291115-MATT-WEB_3513059a.jpg